Menu

1st grader reading well, but need spelling help

LarlaB

My DD (just turned 6) is zooming along w/ Explode the Code books (part way thru book 4). I didn't anticipate that she'd go this far, this fast and don't have a spelling program lined up, but know that we need one. Is there anything that would work well with ETC?

Any suggestions? Anyone else BTDT?

Thanks!!!

Laura

We didn't use ETC, but did OPGTR. My dd6 zipped through that quickly, too. We are using All About Spelling, and I am loving it. It teaches the why of spelling as well as reinforces the phonics that was learned in our phonics lessons. I don't feel like I need to have two different programs now that we have finished OPGTR. She is learning to spell what she all ready knows how to read, and continues to practice reading.

HTH!

Spelling.City

I am not an English native speaker, but my children read a lot so their spelling has improved over the years. Their spelling was awful until about 4th grade, then all of the sudden it seamed to click (I strongly believe is all the reading). We use Spelling.City to work on words they misspell in their writing. It is a free online program and the children have fun with the spelling games.

Spelling.City

I am not an English native speaker, but my children read a lot so their spelling has improved over the years. Their spelling was awful until about 4th grade, then all of the sudden it seamed to click (I strongly believe is all the reading). We use Spelling.City to work on words they misspell in their writing. It is a free online program and the children have fun with the spelling games.

Thanks for that resource. My son will love it!

You can start Spelling Work Out A anytime now. It's super basic, so you can go as slow as you need to, or zip along if it is very easy.

Explode the Code will keep reinforcing spelling skills, and SWO will lay some more good foundations.

My youngest is the first one who has had the benefit of SWO from Kinder, and she did A & part of B in Kinder. . . and is finishing B this week, so she'll likely finish C this year (1st). I think that is actually a very good idea, so they can finish H by 6th grade or so if possible, to move to vocab study. I think SWB outlined sth along those lines in TWTM, actually. (Though it took me 6 or so years to realize she was right and stop messing around with other spelling programs, lol)