Menu

Middle East Homeschoolers?

MommyinEgypt

Hello, I posted this in another section but I think it should have gone in this one.

I am an American citizen who has lived and worked (and married) in Egypt for the last 6 years. Our daughter will be 3 soon and I am seriously considering homeschooling her here in Egypt using an American based cirriculum. I have HEARD some others have done this from the Middle East but honestly I have no CLUE of how it works, how to get started, what to expect, etc. The school system here is sub-par and I would rest easier knowing I could control what she were learning. My husband and I have agreed to send her to private classes to learn Arabic and Egyptian history but would rather she have an American education (generally).

I really have no idea how homeschooling works. For example, if she home schools throughout her childhood, does she receive a diploma and how? How does it work when she enters college? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated especially from those who may be/did homeschool from the middle east.

I will be home schooling from Texas, which is my native state and I have family members there who are willing to help in sending books, materials or whatever else may be necessary as the years progress.

Thanks again in advance and I'm happy to be a new member.

Take care.

Well, if she has Egyptian citizenship then please research the legality of homeschooling. I am pretty sure she would need to be covered under an American school. There are some places like Calvertschool which is a full curriculum and is basically like a private school, but you'll be covered via them. Other places (can't remember the names, but there are a few options) you just pay for them to act as an official school base while you provide all curriculum.

And thanks on the compliment for my board name. I still think it is cool and I have had it for a while!!!! OK, I should be more humble, LOL!

I had a friend who homeschooled in Egypt. However, they were military and therefore were covered by the SOFA and didn't need to follow the local educational laws. There is a homeschooling group in Cairo: http://groups.google.com/group/cairohsnetwork they can probably help you out with what you need to do from a legal perspective.

As far as curricula choices, how to make a transcript and all of that? I'd recommend you do some reading. My favorite books on homeschooling:

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise

Well, if she has Egyptian citizenship then please research the legality of homeschooling. I am pretty sure she would need to be covered under an American school. There are some places like Calvertschool which is a full curriculum and is basically like a private school, but you'll be covered via them. Other places (can't remember the names, but there are a few options) you just pay for them to act as an official school base while you provide all curriculum.

And thanks on the compliment for my board name. I still think it is cool and I have had it for a while!!!! OK, I should be more humble, LOL!

Ok that's something to keep in mind, thank you. I'm already looking into the umbrella schools to cover her in that. Thanks again for the feedback.

I had a friend who homeschooled in Egypt. However, they were military and therefore were covered by the SOFA and didn't need to follow the local educational laws. There is a homeschooling group in Cairo: http://groups.google.com/group/cairohsnetwork they can probably help you out with what you need to do from a legal perspective.

As far as curricula choices, how to make a transcript and all of that? I'd recommend you do some reading. My favorite books on homeschooling:

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise

Thanks so much for the book recommendations, I will definitely look into them. The link might be a great help, thank you I'm definitely oing to check it out!