Menu

Please help me explain this comma issue

Here are two sentences from my son's writing. Both have the word who, but only one of them requires the clause to be offset by commas. Please help me explain why the first would not have commas but the second would. I can't come up with the explanation, I just know it is that way.

The cock who won flew to the top of the farmhouse.

An eagle, who circled overhead, heard the boasting rooster.

Here are two sentences from my son's writing. Both have the word who, but only one of them requires the clause to be offset by commas. Please help me explain why the first would not have commas but the second would. I can't come up with the explanation, I just know it is that way.

The cock who won flew to the top of the farmhouse.

An eagle, who circled overhead, heard the boasting rooster.

Restrictive clauses don't use commas; non-restrictive clauses do.

The dependent clause "who won" in the first sentence is a restrictive clause; that is, it limits or identifies which specific cock (out of all the possible cocks) flew to the top of the farmhouse. (And I have to admit, ashamedly, that I giggled all the way through typing that sentence.)

The dependent clause "who circled overhead" in the second sentence is a non-restrictive clause; that is, it simply further describes but doesn't explicity identify the eagle.

Restrictive clauses don't use commas; non-restrictive clauses do.

The dependent clause "who won" in the first sentence is a restrictive clause; that is, it limits or identifies which specific cock (out of all the possible cocks) flew to the top of the farmhouse. (And I have to admit, ashamedly, that I giggled all the way through typing that sentence.)

The dependent clause "who circled overhead" in the second sentence is a non-restrictive clause; that is, it simply further describes but doesn't explicity identify the eagle.

Perfect explanation. I have to admit that our grammar has not covered restrictive and non-restrictive clauses so I don't know this yet. I honestly can't remember most of the grammar we are learning now, let alone what will be taught in later levels, being taught to me in school.

BTW, I hate this source text from IEW. If I hadn't needed DS to do another paragraph for practice, I would have skipped it entirely.