Menu

2nd grade earth/space science--help me find some "frills"!

Jayne J

I have a little extra jingle in my budget and would really really like to make science more interesting for my ds. We are doing the WTM rotation and recommended books, but I want to add some experiment books, or kits or something fun. I am completely inept at designing science curricula. I need someone to lay it all out and explain it all for me. I have the Jan Van Cleave books and can't really figure out what to do with them and when (yes, it is that bad. I look at them and think "well, that seems kind of a big waste of time and energy when a two sentence explanation will cover it.")

So, what have you used to supplement earth and space science that was easy, well laid out, relevant and actually educational--that your kids liked?

Not like I'm asking for the stars or anything...:lol:

I'd urge you to check out How the Earth Works: 60 Fun Activities for Exploring Volcanoes, Fossils, Earthquakes, and more and Geology Rocks! Someone on here posted an 8-week geology schedule using mostly those books, and it looks fantastic! My daughter is on a rock/geology kick, so I picked up both books from the library, and there's a lot of fun, fun stuff in them. I think How the Earth Works is much more straight forward and easy to follow, though Geology Rocks! has things to pull out, like making a marshmallow model of the earth.

Also, if you have some spare change, maybe take a peek at the Home Science Tools website. A rock collection or a specific experiment kit might jump out at you and really make things fun.

Hopefully someone who's actually done the 2nd grade WTM rotation will chime in. Ooooh, another thought! Check out Paige's Elemental Science. For $15, you can download her e-book that (at least for biology) utilizes VanCleave books and lays it out for you.

I'd urge you to check out How the Earth Works: 60 Fun Activities for Exploring Volcanoes, Fossils, Earthquakes, and more and Geology Rocks! Someone on here posted an 8-week geology schedule using mostly those books, and it looks fantastic!

If you find a link I'd love to see it! (My search didn't work.)

Have you used the Science in a Nutshell kits from Delta Science? I LOVE them and they have some great earth science/space kits!

Our favorites were:

Destination Moon

Earth and Sun

Our Changing Earth

But we tried a few others that were fun too. They list the level at third to sixth grade for most of them, however, if you help with the reading and/or writing you can easily use them with younger kids.

• 1 month later...
I have a little extra jingle in my budget and would really really like to make science more interesting for my ds. We are doing the WTM rotation and recommended books, but I want to add some experiment books, or kits or something fun. I am completely inept at designing science curricula. I need someone to lay it all out and explain it all for me. I have the Jan Van Cleave books and can't really figure out what to do with them and when (yes, it is that bad. I look at them and think "well, that seems kind of a big waste of time and energy when a two sentence explanation will cover it.")

So, what have you used to supplement earth and space science that was easy, well laid out, relevant and actually educational--that your kids liked?

Not like I'm asking for the stars or anything...:lol:

binoculars

microscope

make a garden

constellation charts

go stargazing

visit a planetarium

visit a greenhouse

go rock hunting

visit a geological museum

talk to a geologist

watch volcano or earthquake videos