Menu

Attn: Opera Fans - Great Performances Tonight (Wed) was TRULY GREAT!

Tonight's Great Performances on PBS documented the 2007 National Council Auditions at The Met. Thousands of young opera singers went through the process, with six winners. Some of the contenders were as young as 22.

If you can catch it on the west coast or Hawaii, do! If you can catch a rerun, try...

My dh and I said watching this made American Idol look downright silly...(but we still watch AI :lol:). We both said it was the most entertaining show we have watched in months.

I would have loved to have seen that.

My niece is an Opera major at Juilliard - she is either a soph or a junior (slap on wrist for me not remembering). We have travelled to hear her perform at various Galas, and to watch this would have been fascinating.

Thanks for posting this --:001_smile:

I had to turn it off right before the end... who got in? I was able to see it up to the tenor doing the aria from "daughter of the regiment", you know, they cute, happy one with all the high c's?

As a path I intended to, but didn't travel... I found it both wonderful and terrifying.

Alek Schrader (Cute guy who sang Daughter of the Regiment)

Angela Meade (Green Dress girl)

Ryan Smith (Black guy from Texas who had filed for bankruptcy before giving it one more shot) -- died of lymphoma in 2008 :(

Michael Fabiano -- The Tenor (nervous guy always doubting himself, but is an absolute star)

Jamie Barton - the mezzo-soprano who sang the Witch's aria from Hansel und Gretel

Amber Wagner - the soprano in beautiful black dress