Menu

Anybody have a hamburger potpie recipe to share?

Do you mean like a Shepherd's Pie?

Shepherd's Pie

4 potatoes, peeled, quartered

1T butter

1 onion, chop fine

1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)

1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped

1T oil

1 pound ground beef

1T ketchup

1c beef broth

Boil potato until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain, mash with butter and 1-2T of chopped onion and about a 1/4 cup cheese. Season with salt/pepper/garlic powder (I use about 1/2t garlic powder and a little pepper, no salt).

Boil carrots until tender, mash and set aside. (I also tend to add a little garlic powder to these, but we love garlic).

Heat oil in fry pan, cook rest of onion until translucent. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain. Return to pan, add in flour and stir until mixed. Add ketcup and beef broth. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for until broth is nearly gone.

Put beef into bottom of 2qt casserole. Top with mashed carrots. Top with potato and top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 375 over for 20-30 minutes until top is golden brown.

You can add other vegetables if you like....I typically make this when I have leftover veggies and just add what I have between the beef and carrot layer....green beans, corn, peas, jicama, broccoli, etc. Squashes tend to get really mushy so I would mash them with the carrots, though beware, sometimes it makes for a weird color, lol.

I've tried substituting ground turkey for beef but it was pretty blah. If your family likes lots of spice then add more spices to the beef mixture. We tend to like just lots of garlic.