Menu

Is California Charter School diploma possible if not in CA?

Since finding out that ds must have a diploma issued by a school to apply to universities over here, I'm searching all options...

Since the CA charter schools generally look more official online than lots of other umbrella schools, I'm wondering if anyone has enrolled in one even if they are not California residents? or do you know if it is even possible?

This would kill two birds with one stone as ds would then be able to apply to UC schools as well!

Thanks for any help,

Joan

Joan, I am bumping this for you. If nobody answers, you could try sending a message to Ellie. She ran a cover school in CA for many years and is generally very knowledgable about questions like this. She must have missed your question. Cleo has a similar problem and has been posting about it on the bilingual board. You might ask her about her research, also.

-Nan, waving from a snow storm

Here is the charter school we were part of briefly. I think it is extremely well-run.

http://www.viedu.org/

Maybe you could contact them?

My guess is that you cannot enroll but maybe they would have other suggestions.

Also what about American School which has been around a long time and is specifically designed for correspondence: http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Edited by Jenn in CA

California charter schools only enroll students in the county in which they are chartered, and counties which adjoin that county. They are limited by law as to the number of students they can enroll outside the home county - but even within those limits, they can only be students from the adjoining counties.

We have been part of 3 CA charter schools over our homeschooling years, and all have had that requirement. You can usually see the enrollment eligibility info on the schools' websites.

California tax dollars pay for the schools. And I think the reason for the county restrictions is the oversight required for charter schools.

California charter schools only enroll students in the county in which they are chartered, and counties which adjoin that county. They are limited by law as to the number of students they can enroll outside the home county - but even within those limits, they can only be students from the adjoining counties.

We have been part of 3 CA charter schools over our homeschooling years, and all have had that requirement. You can usually see the enrollment eligibility info on the schools' websites.

California tax dollars pay for the schools. And I think the reason for the county restrictions is the oversight required for charter schools.

Thank you! I was kind of getting this idea when looking at sites, but didn't know if there was a statewide policy.

Nan - thanks for bumping!

Jenn - thanks for the American School idea but they only let you bring in 5 credits, so he would lose the credits that I need to use for him to graduate early and that need to fill the requirements.

Cleo - I've found some other schools which might allow a bilingual diploma but have to go back through my list. I was on the site "Light at the End of the Tunnel" where she lists probably 50 umbrella/correspondance schools. Many of the links are "not found". Some can be refound by searching with Google. I'll post the best ones on the bilingual board when they are finally completely vetted. There are a couple in Canada. Do you want to use the diploma to get into university in Canada? My husband thinks Clonlara is too expensive for what they offer. Is that your criteria as well?

Best,

Joan

Do you want to use the diploma to get into university in Canada? My husband thinks Clonlara is too expensive for what they offer. Is that your criteria as well?

Yes and yes... It seems Clonlara would be my best bet so far, they do allow for 2 credits of English LA, and 2 other credits of whatever other language the child speaks.