Menu

Multiplier / Multiplicand ... Help?

Can someone tell me which is the multiplier and which is the multiplicand in a vertical multiplication problem? For example I know that in this problem:

2 x 3 = 6 , the 2 is the mulitiplier and the 3 is the multiplicand ...

but what about problems that are in this format:

____

Is the top or bottom number the multiplier?

Thanks!

Can someone tell me which is the multiplier and which is the multiplicand in a vertical multiplication problem? For example I know that in this problem:

2 x 3 = 6 , the 2 is the mulitiplier and the 3 is the multiplicand ...

but what about problems that are in this format:

____

Is the top or bottom number the multiplier?

Thanks!

Here's what Dr. Math says.

In a nutshell, it doesn't make any difference.

It might not make a difference, unless you're trying to *tell* someone what you're doing, or what he should be doing, or whatever, but the bottom number is the muliplier.
Huh. I've never used those terms and my kids learned just fine. I can't imagine why anyone would ever need to use them. Seems like it would just confuse the issue.

Yes, I don't use the terms "multiplier, multiplicand" themselves when explaining. (Not yet anyway! I agree, it is probably more than they need to know right now.) But when explaining multiplication to the kids, it seems like they understood better when I said for example ... "1 x 2 means that you have 2, 1 time, or 3 x 4 means that you have 4, 3 times." And then I would have them take manipulatives or the abacus and actually show 4 items, 3 times. It seems to make it much more clear for them than it ever was for me when I was trying to learn it years ago. I was just going to explain the same thing using our flashcards which are done vertically and wasn't sure which way to explain the problems.

(Then after they understand what multiplication means, I explain that it really doesn't matter which direction you multiply since the answer is the same either way.)

Huh. I've never used those terms and my kids learned just fine. I can't imagine why anyone would ever need to use them. Seems like it would just confuse the issue.

I agree. I always loved math and it was my favorite school subject, but I still can't keep those terms straight. I just tell my kids that 2 x 3 is 2 groups of 3. Works for us.