Menu

Anyone use New American Cursive?

Sara in WA

Yes, we started it this year. My dd is 5, but she's doing 1st grade work. We were using HWT and it just wasn't working out. Instead of no tears, there were lots of tears.

We moved to New American Cursive because she wanted to write like a grown up. :)) We've been moving veeeeerrrrrryyyyyy slowly and doing several practice pages, then several review sheets.

Is she ready to write in cursive? No. BUT there are no more tears during handwriting. She does the work, if not always eagerly, at least with a will. I think in the long run it will work out fine, but we just aren't far enough along yet to know for sure.

I use the NAC font but without the workbooks - they seemed so expensive! I ordered StartWrite with NAC and just made my own worksheets. Becca's learned how to form all of her letters and now she does copywork of various sentences from literature. I choose copywork sentences from here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AOCopywork/

She likes this a TON better than just plain handwriting drill, and she's almost at the point of writing cursive from dictation or print.

We will be starting cursive soon also. Adrian is 6 and already writes nicely in manuscript but had I seen Don Potter's website before I more than likely would have started cursive first. Here's the link:

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/Cursive%20First.pdf

We will be using StartWrite to make our own sheets but since our version is older and does not have NAC we will be using Modern Cursive. The font is almost the same as Don Potter's sample and with $35 we can make as many worksheets as we want for Adrian and later for Malcolm. Check out StartWrite also before you decide. As a previous poster said it now comes with NAC. They have many other fonts also, including HWT.