Menu

CW Aesop- how long are the lessons?

Annie Laurie

How long does each day of Aesop take? I have one child who would thrive with this but my other kids need a different approach and I'm not sure that doing multiple writing programs is really possible for me. It's scheduled for 4 days a week, correct?

Grammar is included in the Aesop lessons, is that right? All I would need to add would be spelling?

The CW people suggest, IIRC, two 30-45 minute sessions of Aesop a day.

However .... we spend @ 20 minutes a day.

If you decide to use Aesop, the best thing you can to is to read the core book, and thoroughly familiarize yourself with the objectives of the course. If you do everything in the course as written, you could spend a good deal of time a day. However, you don't have to do everything. And you don't have to do it as written.

Once you understand the objectives and the theory, it's a very flexible program.

Yes, grammar is included in Aesop.

Spelling is sort of included, too. They suggest you pick difficult to spell words from the model and then learn those that week.

Beware, it takes a fare abount of preparation, if you don't intend to do it with all your kids it may take too much of your time. There also isn't much that the student does on its own. When mine do Aesop or Homer I can't do anything else on the side.

The CW people suggest, IIRC, two 30-45 minute sessions of Aesop a day.

However .... we spend @ 20 minutes a day.

If you decide to use Aesop, the best thing you can to is to read the core book, and thoroughly familiarize yourself with the objectives of the course. If you do everything in the course as written, you could spend a good deal of time a day. However, you don't have to do everything. And you don't have to do it as written.

Once you understand the objectives and the theory, it's a very flexible program.

Yes, grammar is included in Aesop.

Woah, two 30 min sessions a day seems like a lot for a 3rd grader just for LA. Glad to hear that suggestion is flexible. Now that I think about it,I did read the time requirement on the website a long time ago, and that was one of the things that put me off of trying it. I will just have to plan on breaking it up.

Spelling is sort of included, too. They suggest you pick difficult to spell words from the model and then learn those that week.

Beware, it takes a fare abount of preparation, if you don't intend to do it with all your kids it may take too much of your time. There also isn't much that the student does on its own. When mine do Aesop or Homer I can't do anything else on the side.

I'm fine with it being teacher intensive- I have found no way around that for LA and math and that's okay, as long as the time is spent on an efficient program- kwim? I like that Aesop covers so much in one program, that's a big draw for me right now. I do like IEW but feel I have to add so many other components to it.

It sounds like I'd really need to try it with both my 7 (soon to be 8) and 9 yr olds then. The problem is, my 7 yr old would love it and my 9 yr old is a reluctant writer, just wants to get done and go back to his latest invention he's making. IEW seems more suited to him.

Thank you both for your feedback!

It varies here.

On the days we read the model and create the outline, do spelling and grammar analysis, we probably spend 30 minutes total. But on the days they write their rough drafts and final drafts, it's closer to an hour. Sometimes I let them break up the writing because it does take awhile and their hands get tired. :)

How long does each day of Aesop take? I have one child who would thrive with this but my other kids need a different approach and I'm not sure that doing multiple writing programs is really possible for me. It's scheduled for 4 days a week, correct?

Grammar is included in the Aesop lessons, is that right? All I would need to add would be spelling?

It varies depending on the child. By the time Sweet Pea finished Aesop she could do all of it independently. I had a few weeks before I could get to Homer, and she even picked out her own models and just continued to do the same thing. All I did was look over her work at the end of the week.

The problem is a child doesn't get to that stage without having their hand held at first. I don't remember how long it took (boy that seems like it was a long time ago). While Pumpkin has started CW Aesop she is doing it at a very slow pace so that I can do everything one on one with her. She is also still working through WWE, so I am not in a hurry to get her moving. My goal is to use this time to get her trained, so that by the time it is her main writing program she can also do it independently. Right now the only pieces she doesn't do well independently is the outlining and the vocab (vocab usually starts later in the program, but given we are moving slowly I started it early). If I had to do it at normal pace right now it would probably take about 15 mins a day to help her with the outline, read about new concepts and make sure she was on the right path with them, and then help her with the vocab. She is doing an outside grammar program, so that saves us some time, though right now she also is doing the grammar in CW, but it is not new, so she can do it quickly. If you are just starting Aesop I would expect it to be closer to 20-30 mins a day because everything is new, it shouldn't continue to take that long.

Again with Homer it took a while at first because everything was new. Now Sweet Pea can do most of it on her own. I allow her to self correct (with the TM) most of her work, and I check the final draft, her six sentence shuffle and paragraph work at the end of the week. She also does her grammar work (AG) independently and I correct that, which is why I don't have a problem with her self correcting her work in Homer. I spend time reading about the new topics and making sure she can implement it, but then I stand back and let her go.

Heather