Menu

Audio books

My kids love audio books, and we borrow them often from the library. I also own many of the Jim Weiss Cd's. I would like to stock up on more for our move (10 day drive across the country). I am ordering the remain Jim Wiess one's I don't already own, but am looking for suggestions for other titles that are worth owning. The Jim Wiess one's we listen to over and over so they are worth the investment. Are there any titles of audio books that your family has listened to repeatedly and would be a good title to add to our home collection?

My kids have loved just about anything on CD. Some of our favorite audio books:

Little House on the Prairie (great with background fiddle music and such)

Harry Potter (the narrator Jim Dale is amazing!

Where the Red Fern Grows was powerful for my kids.

Hardy Boys

Artemis Fowl

Beverly Cleary (I prefer Henry Huggins to Ramona Quimby, Henry is more responsible and obedient).

HTH

My kids love audio books, and we borrow them often from the library. I also own many of the Jim Weiss Cd's. I would like to stock up on more for our move (10 day drive across the country). I am ordering the remain Jim Wiess one's I don't already own, but am looking for suggestions for other titles that are worth owning. The Jim Wiess one's we listen to over and over so they are worth the investment. Are there any titles of audio books that your family has listened to repeatedly and would be a good title to add to our home collection?

The Narnia series is wonderful. There's a radio theater version by Focus on the Family, I think. There are also the individual books by famous actors (Branagh, Stewart, Jacoby....) unabridged and well-done.

Little House on the Prairie series was good for car trips. The Magic Treehouse series comes in 8-book sets, even though you know the mystery after the first time, dc here have listened to them several times. Hank the Cowdog series is good.

I love all of the Focus on the Family Radio Theater productions--Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, Narnia, etc. My kids listen to these over and over.

Another favorite around here is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and The Hobbit. The narrator, Rob Inglis, does an amazing job.

If your kids are old enough, my girls (10 and 12) really enjoy Jane Austen--Emma and Pride and Prejudice are the ones the listen to the most.