Menu

Do teeth turn pink just before they fall out?

I was looking at my son's teeth and one of his molars is pink. It's also very loose and I'm sure will be coming out soon. The pink color really confused me because I had never noticed this before. There does seem to be some blood accumulation under it that would cause the pink hue. Then I looked at my daughter's front teeth because we have been waiting for them to come out too. The one that is loosest has a light pink hue (compared to the faint yellow of normal teeth).

Has anyone else ever noticed a change in color before they fall out?

I was looking at my son's teeth and one of his molars is pink. It's also very loose and I'm sure will be coming out soon. The pink color really confused me because I had never noticed this before. There does seem to be some blood accumulation under it that would cause the pink hue. Then I looked at my daughter's front teeth because we have been waiting for them to come out too. The one that is loosest has a light pink hue (compared to the faint yellow of normal teeth).

Has anyone else ever noticed a change in color before they fall out?

Yes. And the dentist has pointed it out to me, showing me which teeth were getting ready to get loose. I don't think it's an accumulation of blood. It's more a translucency because there is less tooth as the root dissolves. The tooth is hollow, and you can almost see through it, to the gum tissue beneath. It's most noticeable with molars.