Menu

Spelling workbook for 4th grader that

bethben

includes dictation excercises (would be nice but not necessary)? We will be finishing up AAS level 5 next year in the beginning and I'm looking for something workbook based with activities and possible dictation excercises for me to give him weekly. So, what are your favorite spelling workbooks for 4th grade and above?

Beth

Megawords!

I've heard a number of people say that Megawords is a perfect follow-up to AAS. While it does not specifically have dictation exercises, it would be extremely easy to use the exercises which have the student look for spelling errors in sentences as your dictation sentences.

Megawords is for grades 4 and up, is done mostly solo by the student, and teaches vowel patterns and syllabication rules to help students break larger words into smaller "bites" for spelling attack. Great vocabulary, too, in the choice of words in the word lists for each unit. It takes about 24-28 weeks to do a workbook, so you need more than 1 workbook per school year.

See sample pages of all 8 workbooks at http://www.christianbook.com

includes dictation excercises (would be nice but not necessary)? We will be finishing up AAS level 5 next year in the beginning and I'm looking for something workbook based with activities and possible dictation excercises for me to give him weekly. So, what are your favorite spelling workbooks for 4th grade and above?

Beth

soooooo, curious here (from one who is in level 2 for ds8 of AAS), having done level 5..would you say it was succesful??

Also, we love Megawords here for my dd10!

yes- I would say it was successful. It took my child who I never thought would spell well into a kid who is a somewhat natural speller. It just seems to me that the direction AAS is taking is less about the tiles and more about just memorizing lists with a certain sound. For example, this week we did numbers and the 4 letter "a" sound (eigh). He really just needed to look at the words and memorize them. So, I guess I'm looking for something that has a little more work with the words in a workbook form to help him see them a little more often. In AAS I really love the built in dictation.

Beth