Menu

Abeka Nursery Q's

mhaddon

Has any ever used the nursery program? My son turned 3 today and I want to start him on something and he wants workbooks like his older brother :) Are they worth it, they don't seem too expensive... I am going to start letting him make lapbooks and things with us and sit in on stuff, but I thought when older brother was working on something he couldn't do then maybe I could have something that is just for him. The Abeka seems to be the best thing I've found so far... but I'm open to suggestions of coures ;)

I'm not familiar with the A Beka pre-k/nursery books. But I did buy the set of 4 preschool activity books from Rod and Staff for my 3 1/2 year old and was NOT impressed. I didn't like them at all:/ They have no color, which doesn't bother me... if your child like to color, then it could be fun to color in the pictures when you're done with the page.

I do like the Developing the Early Learner set. BUT while my DD was ready for it somewhere around 3 1/2, my DS, who will turn 4 very soon, is simply not ready. We keep trying (he wants to) but he totally doesn't understand what I'm asking him to do. I do like the series though, using at least the first 2 books.

I'm not familiar with the A Beka pre-k/nursery books. But I did buy the set of 4 preschool activity books from Rod and Staff for my 3 1/2 year old and was NOT impressed. I didn't like them at all:/ They have no color, which doesn't bother me... if your child like to color, then it could be fun to color in the pictures when you're done with the page.

I do like the Developing the Early Learner set. BUT while my DD was ready for it somewhere around 3 1/2, my DS, who will turn 4 very soon, is simply not ready. We keep trying (he wants to) but he totally doesn't understand what I'm asking him to do. I do like the series though, using at least the first 2 books.

yep no color he will be bored :( I also have all 4 of the early learner set & he is not ready for them yet.

Never used their 3 year old materials, but I used ABeka starting at K-4 for my youngest, and he loved it.

We used it for fun mostly, and so that he could be doing school with the older kids.

For my olders I used the Rod & Staff preschool books, and yes, they are black and white, but that didn't demotivate my kids; they were engaged with them.

I also made up a lot of my own kinds of things such as matching, shapes, colors, sorting, etc. That was fun for all of us.

I always found that I could get good pre-k stuff at Walmart cheaper than the curriculum supplier. The stuff at WalMart is just as good as Abeka, Rod and Staff or whatever. Pre-k is not rocket science, and if your child just wants to be like big brother and insists on workbooks I would go this route.