Menu

CW users - quick question

momto4girls

There are models from the Bible but they aren't verses. It's primarily parables - like the Prodigal Son. IMHO those are literature stories that people should be familiar with, secular or not, because of their references in modern culture and literary writings. However, if you choose not to use these kinds of models you can simply find your own model to use for that lesson. It's the skills you are concentrating on.

Heather

I'm looking for a secular writing program to use after WT... I know the authors of CW are Christian, but I can't tell from the sample pages how secular the content of the program is or is not (i.e., copywork from the Bible, etc.).

Any users out there that can let me know?

Thanks!

You can substitute the Biblical models if you like. There are a couple in each level.

My dd doesn't like re-writing Biblical passages, so I had her just choose a different model out of our Aesop book when we did Aesop. With Homer A it took more work and my first attempt was too big in scale. I need to re-do it. The second one turned out well, and I could share it.

Heather

I have found it completely secular, which is my preference. We have not come across any Bible stories yet -- we're still in Aesop -- but when they come, we'll still use it. We treat the Bible and other sacred texts as Great Books and have no problem using them for copywork or models. In any event, the Bible informs much of Western civilization, so an educated person must read it at some point, whether or not they believe in God.

I have seen no overt religious content in CW at all.

Hope this helps.

Yes, only the introductions give you any hint of the authors' faith. Within the textbooks, all Bible material is treated as great literature along with everything else. We are in Homer A.

Oh, I would except the Primers from this description. The Primers do put in some prayer poems and hymns as well as Psalms; it's more of a "Christian" flavor.

The parables in the Homer A workbook are from the original King James version, which gives them a peculiar twist. I wouldn't be difficult to "just" see them as literature, the language is so outdated. I kept telling my kids that it would be good practise for Shakespear (they kept asking me about the language, because we read the bible a lot, but never this old a version).