Menu

A turkey breast

Mmmmmm. Roast it! This recipe looks very similar to what I do (I don't have a recipe, just "throw" stuff at it like rosemary, olive oil, lemon zest, black pepper and salt.

Yes it's crockpot compatible. I treat it like chicken in terms of seasoning and prep.

Isn't it funny how the same people show up on all the food threads? :lol:

If you'd like it to taste like one of those rotisserie chickens you buy already cooked at the store....without all the chemicals, lol.....

Combine:

4 teaspoons kosher salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teason dried thyme

1 teaspoon white pepper (can sub black but use on 1/2 to 3/4 as black pepper is spicier)

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon lemon garlic salt

Adjust the seasonings to your families tastes but basically you want to make a very aromatic and tasty rub to put on the chicken/turkey. Rub it over all parts of the meat, under the skin if possible, and in cavities if your meat has them. This is best if you can then "marinade" it in the fridge overnight or at least several hours (meaning start the rub early, early morning so it's had some time before you put it in at lunchtime, lol).

Quarter 2 onions and 2 lemons (limes or oranges work well too) and stuff these in the cavities (if you're using a turkey breast or boneless chicken pieces just put them under/around the meat in the pan, the flavor will still get in it but obviously not as strongly. Put the bird on a rack so that the juices flow under it and don't sautee it....but the juice makes fabulous gravy of course!

My family LOVES garlic so I tend to take garlic cloves and slice them and stick them under the skin of whole birds or use a knife to cut a small slit into the meat to stuff the garlic.

Cook at 250 degrees, yes, 250...it's a slow roasting. Length will depend on what you're cooking....a whole chicken or a whole turkey breast will take 4-5 hours, boneless breasts/thighs about 2-3 hours. You'll know it is done when a meat thermometer shows 180 degrees internally.

This works pretty good in a slow cooker as well...Make balls of aluminum foil to set the bird on so that it roasts, not sautees in the juice produced. Obviously the skin won't get crisp in a slow cooker, but you can take it out and put it under the broiler to crisp if desired.

Cook double what you think you'll need...because everyone will want leftovers for lunch!