Menu

CHOW, VP Card & Am. Hist. Stories (Pratt)

babysparkler

I love the Pratt books. We've read the first two. I highly recommend them. Not sure if you'd need CHOW at all, but it depends on what you are looking for - are you using it for a world view of the time frame?

I haven't seen the VP cards but I'm sure they'd work fine. I, myself, wouldn't recommend the Hakim books at this age. Good luck, it sounds like a good plan.

I love the Pratt books. We've read the first two. I highly recommend them. Not sure if you'd need CHOW at all, but it depends on what you are looking for - are you using it for a world view of the time frame?

I haven't seen the VP cards but I'm sure they'd work fine. I, myself, wouldn't recommend the Hakim books at this age. Good luck, it sounds like a good plan.

Thanks, I was thinking the Hakim is not right for their ages yet from what others have posted in other threads, but they look good.

Yes, I was thinking of using CHOW for the world view (I'm pretty deficient myself on my world history, so I need it as much as the kids)... unless there is something better for that. I have CHOW, but wouldn't be opposed to buying something else if it would be helpful.

Edited by babysparkler

Well I guess it's to my shame, but I haven't seen Pratt. You can correlate anything you want to the VP cards, so it should work fine. If you do make a chart correlating them, be sure to load it up at the VP_Elementary yahoo group! :)

Oh! I didn't know about the VP yahoo group. Thanks... (on my way to find it...)

Thanks, I was thinking the Hakim is not right for their ages yet from what others have posted in other threads, but they look good.

Yes, I was thinking of using CHOW for the world view (I'm pretty deficient myself on my world history, so I need it as much as the kids)... unless there is something better for that. I have CHOW, but wouldn't be opposed to buying something else if it would be helpful.

I think for that age, CHOW is great. However, you might want to start it first and just read that until you get to the USA stuff. Alternatively, you could just skip ahead in CHOW until you get closer to that time period and just start there. Either way, then you could add in the Pratt books.

Good luck,

I think for that age, CHOW is great. However, you might want to start it first and just read that until you get to the USA stuff. Alternatively, you could just skip ahead in CHOW until you get closer to that time period and just start there. Either way, then you could add in the Pratt books.

Good luck,

We have been doing CHOW (and love it!) and should be getting to the US History stuff just as we are starting our new school year, so it sounds like it should work in perfectly to add them in then.

I wish we would have started with the VP cards along side of CHOW since the beginning, but I guess it is better late than never :) I hear so many great things about them, and I think the cards will help the kids (and me) distinguish the important facts/dates/etc.

Do you realize the VP cards have spine readings listed on the back of each card? They cite Hakim, CSOA, and others. You don't have to use them, but they're there if you want them. Hakim is fine, and if you read it in the short chunks VP uses, you wouldn't have a problem at all with it for your olders. I'm not saying I'd go out and buy it for the purpose, but I wouldn't ignore it either. Try the library and see if they have it for you.