Menu

Can someone with knowledge of NC rules confirm or dispute this

I know we have to test every year. And it has to be a nationally normed test. I think the ACT will count but the SAT (scholastic aptitude test, not the Standford) won't. Is that right?

I'm thinking next year when dd is a sophomore, she'll start taking the ACT to use as both tests - practice at college entrance and state regulations.

Thanks!

We did what you propose, i.e. using the ACT for practice and to satisfy the NC requirement.

I copied this from the FAQ at the NC Dept. of Non-Public instruction:

Will the ACT, PSAT/NMSQT and SAT college entrance/preparation tests satisfy North Carolina's annual home school testing requirement?

The ACT and SAT Subject (formerly the SAT II) tests are each legally acceptable; however, the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT Reasoning (formerly the SAT I) tests are legally unacceptable.

As explained in the answer to the fifth question in this document, there are three criteria that each test must meet in order to legally qualify under North Carolina home school law. All of these college entrance tests are nationally standardized tests. The ACT and the SAT Subject (formerly the SAT II) tests both measure student achievement in at least the subject areas of language arts and math.

Since these two tests satisfy all three of the North Carolina home school test criteria, they may be used by home schools for students functioning at any grade level (preferably high school). Both the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT Reasoning (formerly the SAT I) tests, however, are designed to measure student aptitude (reasoning skills) rather than student achievement.

Therefore, the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT Reasoning tests do not satisfy all three criteria and cannot legally qualify under North Carolina home school law. Home schools choosing to use either the PSAT/NMSQT or only the SAT Reasoning test will need to also have the students take a nationally standardized achievement test in order to satisfy North Carolina's annual home school testing law.

If the home school requires its students to take the SAT Reasoning test, DNPE recommends that the SAT Subject test then also be taken within the same school year in order to comply with North Carolina's annual home school testing law. The PSAT/NMSQT, the SAT Reasoning and the SAT Subject tests are all produced by the same test organization.

Other information on the standardized testing requirement in NC is available here.

Best regards,

Jane

Yes, the ACT counts, but the SAT doesn't. According to the DNPE site, the SAT II (subject tests) DO count. My guess is that you would have to make sure all the subjects that NC requires for standardized testing be included: grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics.