Menu

If you were starting over?

gr8tcook

I recently had a house fire and everything will soon be gracing the bottom of a dumpster. I have the unique privlidge of rebuilding my entire homeshcool collection. I am overwhelmed with the possibilities. I have 12yob 11yog 9yob and 6yob. I am trained in early childhood and thus had lots of hands on manipulatives. So the ? here for the hive is; if you were to start over, what would you make sure you replaced? What things are an absolute must have and why? not curriculum but the additional extra things you have around to do. I think reading a few responses from others will help me get my brain around things. oh and yes everyone is ok. we weren't home when the fire happened. The firefighters even got my cat out ok. Thanks

i'm so sorry for your family! what a big upset. how nice of the firefighters to get your cat too.

the first things that come to mind are things like uno, mastermind,sequence numbers - games.

pattern blocks

art & craft supplies

jump ropes, balls, scooters, bikes

the thing i would miss the most would be my book collections. we have so many childrens/young adult books it would be painful to be without them.

I would get some great reference books. Something like DK History and the matching books in Science, the Universe, and the Ocean.

I'd make sure each child was able to replace a favorite book series or tool.

I'd order more science equipment, including a nice microscope. Art supplies, lots of sketch books, markers, watercolors, pencils. I'd probably make it a family task to artwork for the new home. It could be therapeutic as well.

I'd also think about organization. If you plan to home school through high school you'll have three high schoolers at once (correct?). I'd make sure there was enough work space and storage space so each student could have their own space.

What about computers? I'd probably budget a laptop for each child specifically for school. But we're techy people.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but I'm glad to hear everyone is okay, including the cat. :grouphug:

thankyou so much for your replies...it has helped me to narrow down where to start. I had not thought to think ahead to highschool. it makes sense to rebuild the room with that in mind. yes we had 3 laptops that we will replace. At last count we lost 300 books and we were not done yet. we were reading aloud yesterday and encountered a word we did not all know and my son said "ah man no dictionary" it was a profound moment because what I had hoped would become second nature was.

Honestly? Probably just the things the kids ask for. I have spent so much money over the years on things that sounded good, or were highly reviewed. But there isn't time to do everything, and stuff sitting around can "give off" some pressure to do them, ykwim?

I don't know if this is helpful to you or not; it's just my 2 cents.