Menu

CLE Math?

For those of you who use CLE math can you explain to me why you like it? Why do you like it over other math programs? Also, do the children find it easy to learn math facts using CLE?

Thanks!

I'm still pretty new to homeschooling but I can tell you what I like. I pulled my dd last January from ps 3rd grade. I put her in Singapore. I don't know exactly what it was that we didn't like, but she hated it and did not do well at all. Afte searching and reading lots of posts, I decided to give CLE a try and we love it!

She likes the graphics, we like the small steps approach to learning new material. We like that there is so much review built in in small chunks. I like how built in to each lesson is a timed drill for math facts, work with flashcards, and the actual lesson. This way we don't forget it. I like that the workbooks are small enough to take along without a bulky math text. There's no endless rewriting of problems, and the drill and review is in few enough problems to keep it fresh and not overkill. At the end of each LU is a test and we move on to a new LU, it gives us a feeling of accomplishment.

My dd is doing 2 lessons a day right now because much of 300 is review for her (she's in 4th grade) but this way I am making sure there aren't any gaps. When we need to slow down, we will.

HTH!:D

We are in our 3rd year of CLE math; using 3rd and 1st grade this year.

I taught 7th grade math for a year and a half, and high school math (Algebra 1, precal and AP calc) for a year. (Then went back and got an accounting degree because of the discipline issues, ugh!)

And CLE builds a great foundation--I saw wayyyyy too many students in 7th-12th grade who couldn't do the BASICS--carry, borrow, deal with fractions. I love the way CLE introduces things in teeny, tiny manageable steps that make it feel simple. Then gently rolls through and reviews it regularly and builds on it---

I'm sure there are other good programs out there, but CLE is a very good program; it is affordable, gentle, I like the 10 little workbooks (lightunits). A lot of time has gone into the creation of this program--it's open and go, and all the teaching info is right there in the TM--I dont' have to come up with anything myself. There are manipulative suggestions but it isn't overwhelming, like I've heard it is in some programs. We use them as needed but aren't burdened by expensive manipulative sets.

There is nothing that I dislike about CLE math--my boys are very different in their math interest and ability and it has worked well for both---

HTH--

Betsy

For those of you who use CLE math can you explain to me why you like it? Why do you like it over other math programs? Also, do the children find it easy to learn math facts using CLE?

Thanks!

We've tried a few maths, Horizons, Abeka, BJU, and Saxon. We had tried CLE last year (for 1/2 a year) and then I desided to try Saxon this year. A bust, too slow and was lacking in MHO so we went back to CLE cuz I was supplementing to many things with Saxon. So, were in CLE now and I like the variety, spiral approach for my Dd. I too like the small incremetal learning that they do.

She's doing really well and I think we'll stay with it for awhile. I just couldn't find a math that we liked and that was easy for me to teach. (I'm not very math minded).

It's working great and we're happy. We always spend 1 hour each day on math.

HTH

Another former public school teacher who loves CLE (and we tried others first). Gentle, small manageable chunks of several types of math problems in each lesson. Plenty of facts review. Good variety of math topics. Student with good reading skills are able to work mostly independently (at least once they get used to the light units).

Thank you everyone. I am still not sure if we are going to switch. I hate ordering new curriculum's and then they do not work out. I also had really wanted to use MUS all the way through. I may just order a few light units to try CLE out.