Menu

Give me a kick in the pants! Or just a starting point maybe..

This last semester was more than a little wacky. We started school the first of August, dh came home from Iraq the end of August. We kept up with math and LA, but everything else kind of fell by the wayside. Then we went on vacation for 2 weeks the end of Sept. When we got back, again we picked up math and LA, the kids read a lot, but no formal science, structured history, etc. Then, we spent Nov. worrying because dh was trying to transfer to active duty and we didn't have a paycheck, etc. Again, we kept up with math, but even LA got to be hit or miss and other than that the kids just read. We finally ended up moving in Dec. and I've spent the last 3 weeks getting us settled in a new state, city and home.

I feel like we are so far behind that I can't even see where we're supposed to be. I go down to the basement to try to get school organized and don't know where to start. We're so out of the practice of "real" school that I'm feeling very adrift and lost as far as schooling. Today is the first day dh has had to really be at work in almost 4 months and I'm completely scattered. Tell me where to start! This is my get myself together and get the kids back on rhythm week and I don't know what to do. Help!

OK - I was trying to decipher the ages of your kids. Is one 9 and one 8? So about 4th and 3rd grade? Those are the two you are schooling?

Good job on keeping math going through all of that (or at least through much of it.) Keep math going.

Pick LA up again.

Do you have curriculum for science or history? How was last year? Have you been following a certain program in those subjects up until this year? (I need the answers to these before I can tell you what I think you should do about this part!)

Thank you for responding! I was beginning to think maybe it really is hopeless!

Yes, 9 and 8 - 3rd and 4th grade, and 1st/k girl. We're really working just on reading and simple math skills with her. OPGTR, Singapore 1a, and that's about it. She listens to SOTW with us.

I started this year knowing it was going to be a little hectic and so I bought the Heart of Dakota, Preparing Hearts. I hated it though. I'm not a great "rule follower" and it irks me to have to follow her directions. Irrational response, I know, but there it is. That went in the trash after a month. We went back to our good old WTM recommendations.

For the olders we've used SOTW - we're still finishing 3. We have used the AG with it, but I just haven't had the patience to sit down and do narrations with each girl the last few months. I have them read it to each other, when I remember. We have done Sequential Spelling and Wordly Wise in the past and I liked it, but the kids weren't nuts about it. We've been using the One Small Square books for science.

It sounds ridiculous when I type this out. What's wrong with just picking it up and moving on. I honestly don't know, except the thought of doing any of it right now makes me want to cry.