Menu

Looking for memory work book suggestions

Jayne J

I want to begin more memory work with my 1st grader, and I am looking for something to help, in terms of methods. Also, what is approriate, based on age etc. I am unsure of what ds is really capable of, as he tends to dislike memorization. Right now, we are working on skip counting (2,4,6,8 etc) and he is really having a hard time (although he is right on track in math in general--ask him to ADD the numbers and he can do it, ask him to memorize the string of numbers and he stares at me) Were I to ask him to memorize verses or prose excerpts, he'd probably curl up and die in protest. I know other parents have theirs doing this sort of thing though and wonder how you do it.

I have looked at Drew Campbells book on Memory work (Living Memory I think it is called) Anyone use it? Like it? Hate it? Any other books to suggest along the same lines?

Memory doesn't really need a method. You just practice it a lot and eventually it sinks in. My oldest hated when we began memorizing math facts, but quickly got over it and it became a game of how fast can you recall the answer? Then when asked to memorize the list of pronouns, again protest, but he got over it. The FLL book (for grammar) is great at presenting memory work in a fun way. He does it all with no problem. It just took some time at first. Try to present it in an enthusiastic way. That helps, too!

For more on memory...check out my blog post...

http://parentingsphere.blogspot.com/2009/03/five-ways-to-remember-stuff.html

Drew's book is great, and is a fabulous resource - poetry, history, science, math, Latin, Greek, English grammar. Everything you could possibly want to memorize, and more than any one person could possibly memorize. The beginning section is about how to implement a memory system, which would probably be helpful for you.

Another wonderful resource is Hannah's Grammar Stage Memorization, available free on Lulu.

We use a modified version of this system to do our memory work.

Thanks! I imagine I am overcomplicating things--I have a tendancy to do that. I was really hoping someone would say "buy X book and it will memorize things for you!!!" :lol: I just don't want to face my ds and fight the good fight. I look forward to reading your blog posts and seeing how you do it. Maybe what I actually need is inspiration that it can be done...

Drew's book is great, and is a fabulous resource - poetry, history, science, math, Latin, Greek, English grammar. Everything you could possibly want to memorize, and more than any one person could possibly memorize. The beginning section is about how to implement a memory system, which would probably be helpful for you.

:iagree:

I just don't want to face my ds and fight the good fight.

Start with something fun Or something that he already knows (or is at least familiar with). Mother Goose rhymes are something easy to start with. Or funny poetry. Especially funny poetry. (Shel Silverstein is great.) Just read through the poem three times every day (no pressure), and soon it will be memorized. If he likes to perform, have him recite it for dad, friends, etc. If not, obviously, don't force him to perform.

Once you get into a routine, then you can add harder or more academic things to memorize. (And my 1st/2nd grader really enjoys having her old favorites in the review pile, so it makes memory work in general a pleasant time for her.)

Oh, and as for skip counting, both kids (4 and 6 yo) love, love, love this CD. (Googol Power Skip Counting Zone)

We've been using a version of this since the kids were 6 (they're now 12). It's worked out beautifully. My son, who has some LDs and is NOT an auditory learner, has memorized an amazing amount of things including the Gettysburg Address and a few other fairly lengthy speeches. It's really helped his listening skills, and although the going was tough in the beginning, they are now memorizing with ease. It takes us 10 minutes per kid each morning.

You might also want to look into some of the Classical Conversations materials. I think they might have a CD with songs of memory work. Songs can make memorizing fun and really help it stick in long-term memory too. I also trying using some hand motions when ds is memorizing lists. He helps his level of enthusiasm for it as well as making the memorization easier for him. We did a You Tube search a couple of weeks ago and found lots of little songs. Yesterday he sang a song of skip counting by 4's up to 48. He heard the song one time 2 weeks ago when I was watching a You Tube video of it (ds was hanging over my shoulder because he loved watching the kids doing their songs:lol:). I was shocked he remembered it so well!

• 2 months later...

Another wonderful resource is Hannah's Grammar Stage Memorization, available free on Lulu.

I have Hannah's free book and it is wonderful. How would you compare it to Living Memory? (as far as grammar stage memorization goes)

thanks

Angela

We use the memory boxes from SCM (link posted above already). Even my 4yo has her own box. :) Hers is mostly full of poetry. My current first grader has poems, Cub Scout memory work, a list of pronouns, and such in his. As we get to something new in his schoolbooks (like pronouns) we add it to his memory box.