Menu

Would WWE help with this problem?

kanagnostos

DS10 seems to be having trouble applying what he has learned in his spelling and grammar classes to his writing. For example, we just finished a spelling class that focused on doubling the consonant to protect a short vowel when adding a vowel suffix. He did well in the class, but in the very next class he wrote a sentence that used the word "hopping," which he spelled h-o-p-i-n-g. He often does the same thing with punctuation and capital letters, not so much with punctuation anymore but capital letters still seem to be a problem. I'm wondering if WWE is a program that might be useful in addressing this problem. I've never used it before and don't know much about it or, if it would be helpful, what level to choose?

TIA,

Katie

Our kids are doing the same thing - except their spelling is WAY worse than forgetting to double a consonant.

I ended up buying WWE 1 and 2 yesterday. I think WWE 2 was for 2nd-3rd grade. If you go on the link for Peace Hill Press and click on WWE, there's descriptions for each level and it says what grades the levels are recommended for...

Good luck!!

DS10 seems to be having trouble applying what he has learned in his spelling and grammar classes to his writing. For example, we just finished a spelling class that focused on doubling the consonant to protect a short vowel when adding a vowel suffix. He did well in the class, but in the very next class he wrote a sentence that used the word "hopping," which he spelled h-o-p-i-n-g. He often does the same thing with punctuation and capital letters, not so much with punctuation anymore but capital letters still seem to be a problem. I'm wondering if WWE is a program that might be useful in addressing this problem. I've never used it before and don't know much about it or, if it would be helpful, what level to choose?

This is exactly why I started my younger dd in WWE. She'd do fine doing a worksheet, but when she actually wrote independently, it was a mess! WWE has not been an overnight miracle cure, but I think it has really helped.

TIA,

Katie

Yes and no. I think dictation and working with written words always helps. The one year my oldest didn't improve in spelling was the year we didn't do dictation. But WWE doesn't specifically target this type of thing. It would be more of a whole language approach.

AAS is a good rule based spelling program, but again it takes time for these things to sink in, so as long as the child is working with writing daily (copywork, dictation, narration) then I think just gentle corrections are needed.

It really is a marathon not a sprint. Have them correct it, repeat the rule and move on.

Heather