Menu

Cost differences: MFW vrs. TOG

:glare: No, seriously...thanks for that well-organized chart of the pros/cons. We are doing MFW ECC next year with a 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th grader (adding in their supplements for 7th/8th grade). Plus my 7th grader has a ton of other subjects to keep her busy, so I'm not too concerned w/ the challenge of MFW (or lack of it as you say!). Frankly, TOG intimidates me. I spend a bunch of time planning already w/ so many kids but for some reason...TOG just scares the bejeebies out of me. :001_huh: What I'd like to do is spend a few weeks doing the free Egypt Unit since that's what we're on right now. BUT, baby coming in a few weeks...mom NOT motivated. Ugh. Maybe, we'll just do one of the free Units later in the Spring. I just wish somebody could reassure me that TOG wouldn't drive me insane! That being said...thanks for a great review of BOTH programs. We're still doing ECC b/c I'm not ready to jump into TOG w/ a new baby. At least I'm a "bit" familiar w/ MFW as we're doing MFW K.

Agreeing with Sue... except that I'm not interested in trying the free TOG unit. ;) I did seriously (briefly) consider joining a TOG co-op with some friends a couple of years ago, but then I looked through the TOG TM and I was :blink:. Blech, not interested. Too much. I have to chuckle at your siggy line, Michelle, because you say you're striving for simplicity, but I don't see anything simple about TOG! LOL! That's just me, though. It doesn't look simple to me. In fact, one of the "simplicities" about MFW is the fact that they are more CM'ish in the early years, which is the very thing that it seems TOG'ers don't like! :laugh:

I really think the key difference between MFW and TOG is, well two main differences:

1. The missions/evangelical focus of MFW (being that the author and her family are missionaries, so that makes sense); and

2. TOG is more "Doug Wilson" classical, and MFW is more "Bluedorn" classical, i.e., Greco-Roman vs. Hebrew. Make sense? It's really just a difference in what a family is looking for long term. I definitely feel that MFW *does* prepare a student well for college. They just wait a little longer to get into the heavy academic side of things than does TOG.

That's how I felt after perusing the TOG website. I think that I am, deep-down, more "lined-up" with the CM approach in the elementary years. It's what drew me to MFW to begin with. My public school, perfectionist, academically driven side conflicts with my "gut" when it comes to the actual implementation of CM's style, KWIM? I'm trying so desperately to "de-program" myself from this before I drive my dc over the edge! I repeat over and over, "Play is learning, play is learning"! TOG seems very rigorous and that is GOOD for my oldest who really needs more rigorous work soon. (7th next year). I'm looking at the hs samples of MFW to see how they will "line up" with my goals for her. She's a smart cookie and I want to challenge her. Anyway, can somebody explain the different biblical/religious views of MFW vx. TOG...I'm not sure I totally understand the differences. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Like I said, I am fairly new to TOG so I don't have it all figured out yet, but I guess that is good because I have used it my way without knowing how everyone else does it. LOL

I pick and choose from the booklists and activities and form my own schedule. I include handicrafts and practical work and soon I will include nature study. I can def. see how TOG could be a lot of hard work for its students, but frankly, I don't schedule all that is available for me to schedule. Actually, here is my recent schedule. I planned for 2 weeks because we had some other things going on.

Lesson Plans TOG Week #29A March 10, 2008 – March 14, 2008

TOG Week #29B March 17,2008 – March 21, 2008

Bible / Church History –

Prudence and the Millers

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Trial and Triumph, chapter 34

The Church in History, chapter 43

History -

The Boston Tea Party (Kroll)

Liberty! How the War Was Won! pg. 6-25 (Week 2 of 3)

Hasty Pudding, Johnnycakes (Ichord) – Chapter 3

Project: Make homemade biscuits

Learn the words to “Amazing Grace†by John Newton

Upper Level History –

And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? (Fritz) pg. 3-19 (Week 1 of 2)

The Declaration of Independence (Burgan) pg. 1-16 (Week 1 of 2)

George vs. George (Schanzer) pg. 7-27 *optional

Independent History – (Allison only)

George Washington’s World (Foster)

Pg. 91-92

Pg. 111-165 (stop at Over the Mountain)

Pg. 168-171 (stop at illustration)

Independent Reading: Early Thunder

Science –

Ben Franklin Book of Easy and Incredible Experiments:

Keep notebook pages of various experiments that are done.

Pg 21-34

Using you skills of observation, draw a picture of the outside sky. After you make your drawing, on the same piece of paper, make notations about the weather.

Begin making your own weather station. This week, make a thermometer, barometer, and wind vane. (week 1 of 2)

Do an experiment to learn about air pressure.

Timeline –

Add the following to your timeline as you read about them:

1765 Stamp Act

1770 Boston Massacre

1773 Boston Tea Party

1774 First Continental Congress meets

Projects –

Begin a display board that examines the pursuits of Benjamin Franklin. This week, present information about the Franklin stove. (Week 3 of 9)

Make a poster that describes and illustrates meteorological instruments. *optional

Make a poster about early American Flags *optional

Begin a display board that shows and explains about colonial fashion. This week, focus on children’s clothing. (Week 3 of 4)

Activity: Paint a stenciled box.

Activity: Using colored felt; make a “Grand Union†flag. (Revolutionary War Days)

Geography –

Look up Boston on a map

Find Philadelphia on a map. Why do you think that the colonists held important political strategy meetings in Philadelphia?

Find out how long it took to ride from Philadelphia to Boston. Why would this have been important in the unfolding of events in 1775?

How long did it take the average ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean to England? Discuss with mom how this would have affected events from 1763-1775

Practical Work & Handicrafts –

Sewing: Begin sewing culottes for summer

Learn about knitting – Video

Practical Work: Learn about first aid & cpr

Read Aloud –

Sign of the Beaver (Speare) Ch. 9-11

Worksheet on Friday

Let me encourage you that ECC is a good program and you will do well with it. I don't mean to discourage anyone who is interested in MFW. I only wanted to share my discoveries about the two programs.

God Bless,

Michelle

and everyone else who has shared about TOG in this thread and others. It IS a bit overwhelming trying to decide b/c both seem like good programs. I'm very drawn to the activities/books scheduled in TOG. Someone once mentioned the activities and projects being "real" as opposed to the "watered down", simplified activities/projects in MFW. I'm one for the "real" stuff myself. Perhaps, after a year of MFW ECC I'll have a better feel for how I like it. MFWK is great but I'm sure much different than the 5 yr. program. Thanks for you schedule. It looks "doable"!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with both Sue and Donna on the differences. And I HAVE used TOG as well as taught in a co-op. TOG also has an enormous amount of planning (especially for those of us that have a multitude of children and levels to work with), books are not included (and not everyone has a library worthy of using nor the funds for finding the recommended books), integrating older and younger children is not always doable, and honestly I found the work to be too much focused on the older children and not much geared for the younger children at a pace they can handle (something I was warned of when TOG first came out, but I was determined to give it a shot).

With MFW, I never did K, 1, or Adventures. We started all together with ECC and everyone, on every level, enjoyed it and was able to participate. I saw no reason to buy or use the first three years separately when I easily add in my own phonics and math and the rest they can participate with the older children. I have no problem adding highschool curricula, since with TOG I would have to buy separate younger curricula (for the above reasons).