Menu

need help choosing writing program

michelle l

Hi.:) I'm a new hsing mom and brand new to the forums. We need to do more writing and need more specific writing instruction. I'm mainly wondering what the differences are between the First Language Lessons series and the Writing With Ease books. It looks like they both use narration, copywork, and dictation, so maybe trying to do both would be overkill?

I'm currently using SL3 with ds10 and ds 8. We have not been good about doing the LA assignments, mainly I think because they do not always have the necessary skills and become overwhelmed. We were fine writing examples of metaphores, but when asked to do a character sketch and research paper without specific steps, it was a bit much for us. I simply did not assign those things because both are reluctant writers. The end result, however, is that they are doing precius little writing!:blush:

The do journal daily, or nearly daily. I've resorted to nearly all copywork with ds 8, as he simply did not know what to write and would becomes overwhelmed easily. He is much happier doing copywork, and I know I can continue to do that without a specific program. Still, I am looking for something that gives opportunities to practice specific skills, as well as solid grammar instruction. I'm pleased with the grammar included in FLL, and like that they will be diagramming. Being new to hsing in general, it's all a bit overwhelming for me! Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you don't mind could you write out the complete curriculum names once before using the abbreviasions in your posts? I'm not not familiar enough the the different programs to decipher it all easily yet. Thanks!

The difference between First Language Lesson(FLL) and Writing With Ease(WWE) is the former is a grammar program and the latter is a writing program.

Both are wonderful programs and can be used together. They compliment each other nicely. I am currently using for my younger son who is in 4th grade First Language Lessons 3. I wanted him to learn grammar. I liked the scripted process with FLL3. A lot of people complain that it is repetitive, but I feel that grammar has a lot of logic to it. The more the child can digest it the better. Repetition is the mother of learning. I appreciate the process that they teach.

I have also had my sons do a writing program called Writing Tales. My older son has done 1 and 2. My younger son has only done 1 so far. We love Writing Tales. It makes writing very simple. It uses models that are interesting. My sons both love the rewrites the best. A lot of people supplement with a grammar program because they feel the grammar is not enough. I think the grammar is fine for a young child. If the child is older then maybe a grammar program like Growing with Grammar or Rod and Staff English would be good.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I was exactly where you are last year. My two olders HATED writing. Tears from my daughter and a head down on the table for my oldest whenever they had to write! I was lost and had no idea what to do. Then I found Writing With Ease and we have LOVED it! The kids never complain about writing and my oldest ds has caught up to where I think he should be with dictation and narration. My daughter has also progressed extremely well. The thinking behind Writing With Ease is that you need to teach the process of writing which starts with trying to put ideas together in their head before they can even get it to paper. This, as a previous poster stated, is different than the grammar program which stresses the mechanics of writing. My older ds now writes fairly well short narrations on his own which I could have never asked him to do in September! We also happen to love the literature selections the narration and dictation/copywork comes from and leads us to want to read the book... another bonus!

I personally feel that SL starts too fast and moves to quickly on creative writing, but that could just be me.

FLL and WWE work together. If you use WWE, then you skip the copywork in FLL. However, while you are learning say nouns in FLL then shortly after, you will be concentrating on nouns in your copywork in WWE. FLL teaches the concept and then WWE applies it. I used FLL 1/2 (started 3 but didn't care for it) and WWE 1 together.

We've now moved on to Writing Tales 1. It's very gentle and works great. You spend time reading a selection, say an Aesop fable, and then going over some grammar or punctuation with regard to it. Then the student rewrites it in their own words, keeping to the storyline. On the last draft, they can add their own creative touches to it, while also keeping to the storyline. It's been a wonderful approach for my kids. My daughters who likes to "write" in theory clams up on a blank piece of paper and just her own thoughts - but with this, she already knows where its headed and then can add her creativity to it.

There are many great programs out there, but these are definitely two of my favorites. I think with your children's ages, if they already have some exposure to grammar and writing from public school, I'd try Writing Tales.

Good luck,

Do both programs use copywork?

First Language Lessons focuses mostly on grammar concepts. There are optional copywork or dictation exercises at the end of the lesson for extra practice. I usually choose to skip these. Writing With Ease focuses on the writing portion. Together, they are an excellent start to learning the mechanics of our language and writing. I'm an English major/teacher by education but now homeschool, and I highly recommend these programs above all others! My son does extremely well with these programs and he was very resistant to writing before.

I'm currently using SL3 with ds10 and ds 8. We have not been good about doing the LA assignments, mainly I think because they do not always have the necessary skills and become overwhelmed. We were fine writing examples of metaphores, but when asked to do a character sketch and research paper without specific steps, it was a bit much for us. I simply did not assign those things because both are reluctant writers.

I wouldn't worry about creative writing or reports too much just yet. They need to have a strong foundation in writing about their own ideas before they can interpret and summarize others' ideas. FLL and WWE are scripted, step by step programs so there are no questions.

FLL and WWE work together. If you use WWE, then you skip the copywork in FLL. However, while you are learning say nouns in FLL then shortly after, you will be concentrating on nouns in your copywork in WWE. FLL teaches the concept and then WWE applies it.

Ah, lightbulb moment! Thank you!

There are optional copywork or dictation exercises at the end of the lesson for extra practice. I usually choose to skip these

This too. It's all coming together now. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about creative writing or reports too much just yet. They need to have a strong foundation in writing about their own ideas before they can interpret and summarize others' ideas.

I agree. Those foundational skills are what I'm looking for. Sounds like these programs will be very helpful. I appreciate everyone's input.:001_smile:

I personally feel that SL starts too fast and moves to quickly on creative writing, but that could just be me.

:iagree:

In creative writing you bring together several different skills: writing, thinking of new content and then bringing them together. SL jumps in with both feet now allowing the child time to master the skills separately before bringing them together.

WWE on the other hand drops creative writing entirely and focuses on teach the child how to summarize a piece they have herd. That builds to a book report, or other factual writing (long term). The child builds both skills separately and then brings them together in WWE 4. Creative Writing is addressed later down the road after logic level skills (abstract thought) have developed.

We've now moved on to Writing Tales 1. It's very gentle and works great. You spend time reading a selection, say an Aesop fable, and then going over some grammar or punctuation with regard to it. Then the student rewrites it in their own words, keeping to the storyline. On the last draft, they can add their own creative touches to it, while also keeping to the storyline. It's been a wonderful approach for my kids. My daughters who likes to "write" in theory clams up on a blank piece of paper and just her own thoughts - but with this, she already knows where its headed and then can add her creativity to it.

I use Classical Writing, but it is based on the same philosophy/progression as Writing Tales and I also highly recommend either (WT is easier on the parent). One of the things I love about it is that a child doesn't develop original works till around 7th grade. Aesop teachers how to summarize add use and add quotes, adding descriptive detail and how to make sure they are varying their words. Homer works on changing tense, changing sentence type, using synonyms, moving from plural to singular, moving from proper nouns to common all to give different effects to the child's writing. Very concrete skills that will come in handy later. Yet for the creative child (my oldest) they can still change the setting and characters as long as they don't change the moral of the story. So if you are re-writing the Race between the Turtle and the Hare you can instead have a bear and a mouse having an eating contest. :D

Heather