Menu

Can you explain sourdough starters to me?

Last Christmas, a friend gave me some sourdough starter. It's been sitting in my fridge unused because I don't know how to use it.

First, is it still good? I've done nothing to it. I haven't stirred it, fed it, or anything.

Second, how do you use it? I see recipes called for 1 1/2 cups but she only gave me about 3/4 cup of starter. She said something along the lines of taking out what you need the night before and feeding the starter, but I don't see how I'm going to get 1 1/2 cups out of 3/4 cups and still have any left over to feed. I'm totally confused...but I'd really like to make sourdough bread.

If the starter is bad, I know she'd give me more so I still want to know how to use the stuff.

I don't think I'd use a starter that has been ignored for a year....especially if you can easily get a fresher one. It may be fine, but why risk it.

A website that will tell you more than you need, lol: http://www.sourdoughhome.com/starterprimer.html

(this website has lot of advertising that is put on the site by google, etc....while I've never seen anything actually offensive, be aware that just now when I went to get the correct link to share it has a diet tips advertisement with a cartoon woman in a tiny bikini.....not offensive, but a bit unexpected for a bread website, lol. )

This is my favorite forum: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/forum

Basically, if you have a starter, you need to feed it everyday if you are using it often. If not, you can put it in the refrigerator and feed it maybe once or twice a week, until you are ready to use it again. I am not sure if your starter is still viable or not. I would ask your friend for a fresh one.

I have used the starter for French bread, banana bread, pancake and chocolate cake. You can google the recipes on the internet. I usually mix a batch of dough for French bread ready in the refrigerator, shape it the night before and put in the oven in the morning for breakfast. It is quite easy.