Menu

Which writing program do I want?

I'm looking for something that's:

*for a 2nd grade boy

*not grammar, etc...we use CLE LA

*fairly easy to implement

*good preparation for IEW in later years

*rigorous, but not tear-causing

*ideally the writing would reinforce our history studies, but that would be a bonus

I've been trying to do narration/dictation ala WWE using my own sentences about our history studies, but it's not getting done. I looked into using the WWE workbooks, but I keep hearing that they get very hard very quickly. I'm not opposed to something being "hard," but I don't want it to become a battle.

I've looked at Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing, but I never hear anyone mention that, and it may be too simplistic. :confused: The end goal is an articulate communicator using written and spoken language. :tongue_smilie: HELP!

I don't agree that WWE gets too hard too quickly. As long as your child is comfortable with the physical act of writing, he should be okay. I really like the WWE workbooks because they get done every day. I can't find the time or inclination to look up my own dictation/narration selections so the workbooks are perfect for us.

I think in 2nd grade it's up to you if you want to do WWE on the days he does history narrations. I probably wouldn't do that much writing. My 4th grader has to do both. When he was in 2nd grade I was writing his dictated history narrations for him, then having him copy them. Perhaps you could just write it from his dictation and not have him copy it? That way he is still getting the practice of narration. And then continue with WWE as usual.