Menu

Saxon has got to be in 3 segments for ds

lulubelle

Ds is in Saxon 2. It has it's pro's and con's. My son does well with most of the pre-lesson stuff (hates reciting #'s), good with the actual lesson, terrible with fact sheets, good with the first side of the review sheet, and good later in the evening with the 2nd side of the review sheet. But, it was just too much to get through all at once!!! Today, we start to do it in 3 segments! I should have started that a long time ago. We only have 20 lessons left! But, hopefully will be set up for a better time with Saxon 3!

Anyone else do it in segments? I'm breaking it into pre-lesson (meeting book stuff), lesson, post-lesson (fact sheet and worksheet). Pre-lesson mixed between LA, break, lesson, break, lesson.

but I did vary the tone of the different parts of those lessons quite a bit, and I gave them different titles. It's hard to explain how much difference that made, but it was really helpful. I would say, OK, now it's time for oral number work. And later, OK, now it's time for written math. This made it seem like DD was accomplishing two separate subjects, instead of one really, really long one.

I did the same with language arts. I called segments different things. Categories, IIRC, were grammar, copywork, dictation, Editor in Chief, composition, spelling, revising, editing, reading, read alouds, literature, summarization, analysis, literary terms study, poetry reading, creative writing. We did not do all each day, or even each year, but I never just called them all 'English.' That made this area far less overwhelming.

My DD is using Saxon 1, and we do it a lot like you do, except in a different order. First, DD works on the previous day's homework for review (this takes 10 minutes at most), then we do the meeting right after. Later in the afternoon, we do the lesson. I know Saxon 1 is very easy for my DD, and I am hoping to be able to supplement with Singapore 1a starting in January. I say that because I've never seen Saxon for 2nd grade, so I'm not sure how time intensive it is compared to Saxon 1.

Cindy