Menu

NC Residents- Please Help!

There is a chance that we will relocate to North Carolina during the next school year. I read that the state requires the parent have a high school diploma or GED. Do you have to show this to the state?

I'm asking because, while I do have a diploma, it is from a different country (Germany). I'm worried about whether or not it would be accepted...

Thanks for your help!

I don't live there, but I found this:

Diploma evidence for parents/guardians:

A photocopy of your high school diploma, college diploma, GED; or, a photocopy of your high school or college transcript -- provided it states clearly that a diploma (high school or college) was awarded in a specific month and year -- are examples of acceptable diploma evidence.

A letter on the letterhead of the educational institution stating your full name and that you received a high school or college diploma from that institution in a specific month and year is also acceptable diploma evidence.

If the diploma documentation is in a language other than English, please also enclose an English translation of it by an outside of the household, non-related adult. That person should then sign, date it and provide a telephone number and mailing address where he/she may be reached for verification purposes. It would also be helpful to know about that person's familiarity with that language, such as: The person professionally teaches or translates that language, was born or previously lived for several years in that country, etc.

If photocopied diploma evidence is not attached to the Notice of Intent, it will be returned to the chief administrator quickly for attaching evidence and re-submission.

To avoid this unnecessary delay, be certain to always attach diploma evidence before mailing.

source :)

Rainbow, I have been homeschooling for six years in NC and have never, ever been asked by the state to 'show' anything...not even a school attendance record for the kids, or standardized test scores. I don't even know where my HS and university diplomas are. The sole communication I've received from the state is the yearly postcard which reminds me that I need to keep school attendance records, and which offers the guarantee that no one from the dept. of ed. will visit my house if I voluntarily send in my kids' test scores before April 1 (which is impossible, since my kids don't take the tests until the end of April). Somehow, the fact that no one from the dept. of education has bothered to knock on my door (or the doors of my h/s-ing friends) for all these years has given me the idea that they probably never will. And if they do...well, let's just say we're ready for them. :lol:

You send a copy in when you register. I would think it would be fine if you sent a copy of that with a notarized translation. But the best thing to do would be to ask the DNPE themselves.

You know, this is really the answer I should have posted. I do remember sending in a copy of my diploma way back when. Thanks for the responsible reply, cathmom.

There is a chance that we will relocate to North Carolina during the next school year. I read that the state requires the parent have a high school diploma or GED. Do you have to show this to the state?

I'm asking because, while I do have a diploma, it is from a different country (Germany). I'm worried about whether or not it would be accepted...

Thanks for your help!

I'm sure it will be fine. We live in Charlotte. I have a friend in my neighborhood and also homeschools, but she was born in England. She was telling me that there weren't even good records when she went to school there. But, NC accepted what she had.

I agree with poster to call and ask Rod....I've spoken with him a couple of times and he's a very nice man!! HTH. Sheryl <><