Menu

Help me accomplish the impossible in a year and a half...

My dd is a junior and is dyslexic. She has not been very motivated for college although we have been working toward that as a goal. She is now becoming more motivated. She is very bright but is the type of kid that can't be pushed into something but needs to decide on it herself. Once she decides there is no stopping her. I am going to share where we are. You know where we need to be, so give me a plan. We will work over the summer but her regular days from now until April are cut a bit short because she leaves at about 1:30 or 2:00 to drive to the high school for softball:

She can read just about anything, with ease. She is reading on or above grade level. Great skills with discussing and interpreting literature. Hates writing about anything that is assigned. Has written 2 fantasy lit novels but has never written a 5 paragraph essay. Is in Algebra I, still. Will not be a math major. LOL! Has trouble with short term memory and many step problems. We will finish Algebra 1 in 3 or 4 months and begin Alg. II trig over the summer. Did great in Biology, struggled with Chem., we are doing a remedial program and some experiments along with that. Language learning has been a bust. We may take an online Latin I and II course. Her Ed. psychologist recommended that she be exempt from language, but we keep trying. :001_smile:

She will most likely go to our local community college for a few years or go to a college that provides learning support. What would you focus on to get her where she needs to be by then. Any schools you would recommend?

My dd is a junior and is dyslexic. She has not been very motivated for college although we have been working toward that as a goal. She is now becoming more motivated. She is very bright but is the type of kid that can't be pushed into something but needs to decide on it herself. Once she decides there is no stopping her. I am going to share where we are. You know where we need to be, so give me a plan. We will work over the summer but her regular days from now until April are cut a bit short because she leaves at about 1:30 or 2:00 to drive to the high school for softball:

She can read just about anything, with ease. She is reading on or above grade level. Great skills with discussing and interpreting literature. Hates writing about anything that is assigned. Has written 2 fantasy lit novels but has never written a 5 paragraph essay. Is in Algebra I, still. Will not be a math major. LOL! Has trouble with short term memory and many step problems. We will finish Algebra 1 in 3 or 4 months and begin Alg. II trig over the summer. Did great in Biology, struggled with Chem., we are doing a remedial program and some experiments along with that. Language learning has been a bust. We may take an online Latin I and II course. Her Ed. psychologist recommended that she be exempt from language, but we keep trying. :001_smile:

She will most likely go to our local community college for a few years or go to a college that provides learning support. What would you focus on to get her where she needs to be by then. Any schools you would recommend?

So she has 3 years of credits in English

1 credit in sciences (was it biology with a lab) and is working on a second in chemistry

1 credit in math (when she finishes Algebra I--has she taken geometry?) She might be able to do geometry and Algebra II at the same time since they're different kinds of maths. (It wouldn't be as taxing) Or you could skip the Algebra II and do geometry and have her take an algebra course at the cc.

What other credits does she have?

I think focusing on writing is extremely important. She needs to be able to whip off essays and research papers. That would be my number one goal, with math a close second.

What are you best at teaching? I ask because I think with a compressed time schedule that an experienced tutor who supervised/directed her in writing and math would be really helpful if either of those is an area you don't feel strong in teaching.

I recommend getting her cds to listen to... everywhere she goes.... I personally love Classical Conversations cds.... just to give information over and over. I would purchase them... and then just copy off what you want/she wants... to learn. I really believe that for even me (and of course my public school kids...) they are worth it... just for the base they give you. Go over the information to make sure that you like what they say.... There are a couple of mistakes on them.... So if you purchase used you need to check out the errors page... (or pm someone who does CC:-) You could do them with all the history.. all the science... etc... or by the weeks. There are about 72 weeks of each subject. A great base.... and then of course all the other learning cds like SOTW 1-4...

Just me:-)

Carrie

Hmm. I would focus on getting the math down. I made it through high school many, many moons ago with just Alg I and Geometry and a one semester class on business math (basically bookkeeping). So I'd recommend finishing Alg I, then doing Geometry. If you compress it you go do maybe Saxon's Geometry in one semester. Then if she needs more math (and she might not) I'd look into a basic math course or a simple business math course. If she is not good at math I would not recommend doing Alg II at the CC. Instead I would encourage her to take a Preparing for College Writing class (or whatever they call it; that is what our CC calls it). You know she knows how to write, she just needs the formatting and practice. So I would think she'd be more likely to succeed in that at the CC than in Alg II which may be more akin to college Algebra than high school.

I would think doing Chemistry without Alg I under one's belt would make it hard! I would try to get her through the remedial course you've got and then say goodbye to science!

For language, can she take sign language at the CC and have that be her foreign language? If she just isn't good at languages maybe sign language is different enough and physical enough (and fun!) that it could be a great alternative.

Two things I would note: 1) Don't feel under pressure to force her graduation if she is going to segue into college via the CC. There is no real distinct change from high school to college that way. She could ease into the CC courses. 2) If she is beginning to get motivated herself (which is typical of an older teen) she can fix any gaps or missing credits herself using the CC or deciding to take on line classes. After a couple of years of CC she'll probably have a career goal in mind and then she can figure out what she needs to do from there.

Good luck!

The CC will assess her skills and place her in the classes. Whatever skills need to be addressed will be remedial classes. I would suggest going to the CC Office of Disabilities and get her registered with them. Please note that once she is a CC student, it is up to her to handle matters of accomodation for testing, assignments, and grades -- parents cannot help. The Office of Disabilities is there to help her speak up for her Dyslexia and professors who do not understand her scenario. It will help to bring in any documentation of her LD to begin the process. Best wishes! She can do this! The office can also help her locate a LD friendly 4 year college when she is ready to transfer.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the complaining we hear from college English professors is because so many kids w/dyslexia haven't been diagnosed and tutored accordingly. Kids with processing issues can be very smart and talented in other areas, but even a voracious reader with this sort of processing issue cannot whip -out papers with ease. These folks make errors in their writing that they would never make in their speech. You could have a great high school debater, fi, not be able to put all those wonderful thoughts down on paper easily. I have seen it. They often do well with math , and can score well on tests which do not have writing components. Or not. These folks are across the board.

Edited by LibraryLover