Menu

CLE Reading 200 questions

bluecalmsea

I can't speak to level 200, but since no one else has piped in yet, I can at least tell you about 300:) Each light unit has 16 lessons, for a total of 160 for the year. I think you could easily start with the second reader and set of light units. The lessons vary, as there is work in the light unit for ever lesson, but there is reading from the reader assigned every other day, so those lessons tend to take longer. If my 3rd grader does it completely independently, it takes her about 35-40 minutes on a reading day. If I guide her through it some, it is 30 or less. Hope this helps!

We're halfway through CLE 100 Reading and I have to warn you that CLE Reading is very advanced. I bought it and it had to sit for 5 months in a box before the 1st grader could actually "read" it. We haven't made it to CLE 200 yet! The 100 Reader is very good though! I've seen so much progress since we've started.

We're half way through CLE Reading 2 - so here's my opinion...

1. The reading level of the reader is MUCH easier than the workbook activities, so don't use the reader as a gauge for what level you should use.

2. There are a lot of phonics activities in the reading light units for grade 2. They are extremely thorough. They use specific phonics nomenclature, so you may or may not want to do those activities. If you do them, there may be a bit of a learning curve to get down the lingo (if it's different from what you are using now - which it was for us). Once you get it - it will be smooth sailing. I found it torturous to teach my super strong reader what a "schwa" was, so we skip the phonics. He's also a natural speller so that helped my decision.

3. I have not used the TM for reading, though I do for LA and Bible.

4. My kids LOVE the stories and my 2nd grader has read the whole 3rd grade book for fun.

5. The first reader book doesn't cover a specific half of the year - and does not end with LU 205. I may be wrong but I think it's used for part of 206 - so ask the CLE employee which readers you need for which light unit if you decide to start in the middle. It might be a waste to buy the $10 reader to use for 1/2 of 1 light unit and have your kids read 2 stories from the book (or you can just let your kids read it).