Menu

Patterns Curriculum

MissKNG

This may be a long shot but I'll ask anyways! :tongue_smilie:

Has anyone used the 5-7 Patterns Concept from Moving Beyond the Page?

Or the Patterns Curriculum from Prufrock Press?

http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=710

Pros/cons of either....I'm leaning towards the Prufrock Press since MBTP Environment Concept is "ok".

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I used MBTP's environment for that age group. We didn't like it, so we didn't use anything else from them.

As for Prufrock, I just discovered them and haven't used anything from them yet. I posted a question about them here and on the accelerated board. You might try a search and see if that helps you any.

This may be a long shot but I'll ask anyways! :tongue_smilie:

Has anyone used the 5-7 Patterns Concept from Moving Beyond the Page?

Or the Patterns Curriculum from Prufrock Press?

http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=710

Pros/cons of either....I'm leaning towards the Prufrock Press since MBTP Environment Concept is "ok".

Thanks!

We used the Patterns Concept from Moving Beyond the Page last year. Ds liked it. I wish I had used it when he was younger, because although it was still fun he was already familiar with the topics covered. Also, the books used were geared to younger kids.

Did you have any specific questions?

Mandy

We have the MBTP one, but haven't gotten to it yet (still finishing up Similarities and Differences), but I plan to because Ariel has been going through a big patterns phase recently, and I'd like to capitalize on that. We read through a couple of the books when we first got it, and she liked them. I think the activities should be good.

Thanks for the responses! I knew there had to be someone out there that at least used the MBTP Pattern Concept.

I guess I don't have specific questions except since I found the Environment Concept to be "ok", do you think I may think the same of the Patterns Concept? I was wondering which was more challenging. Does the MBTP cause them to think? I think the Environment Concept is "easy" and am not sure how a gifted 5 year old would enjoy it since my 3.5 year old does. So that makes me think the Patterns Concept may lack some challenge as well and she will be a little over 4 when we would start it. You know what I mean??

DD has been asking for Patterns schoolwork so I am hoping to get something for the fall.

I thought I responded to this thread before, but don't see the note so maybe I forgot to submit. It's difficult for publishers to present age ranges accurately, especially when gifted children are involved. Based on experience with my own children, I think that the lower age listed would be for a bright child and the middle age for an average child. A truly gifted child needs to bump up a concept. So, a gifted 7 year old would probably fit into the 8-10 concept best, finishing the last unit or two as she turns 8. I'm very impressed with this curriculum and probably would have used it with everyone if it had been available years ago. I have found that each aspect (activity) needs to be covered in order for it to be challenging. I don't skip the ones that look boring or simple because often they are the ones that end being the most fruitful. Send me a note if you have questions.

Edited by love2read