Menu

Best cruise?

Completely OT regarding homeschooling, but one of my girlfriends and I are talking about taking a cruise together sometime next spring or summer. What companies have the best cruises and where are the best destinations? We're thinking about a 3-4 day cruise and we really don't care where it goes. I don't want to take a bad cruise, either, though, which is why I'm asking. It'll just be the two of us, so safety is a factor as well. My husband and her mother (she's a single mom) have given us their blessings, so it's a matter of working out the details. Thanks in advance!

I recently did a Disney cruise for my sister's 50th. All adults, no kids, and it was fabulous. They do have a lot of kid-centered activities, but also tons of adult programming as well. I really liked the "feel" of it - we've been on other cruises that were such party ships that you hated to leave your cabin at night. The Disney cruise was not like that at all - they did have bars/clubs where you could go at night and have a cocktail, but just about everyone there was married so it didn't feel like a pick-up spot.

They have 3 and 4 day cruises from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas (they have their own private island there, and it's amazing), and there are some very good deals to be had. I think we paid $225 per person for a Thurs-Sun. Check vacationstogo.com - that's where we did our booking.

I have been on a few cruises and I highly recommend Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class or Freedom Class ships (look at their site and you'll see what I mean), and I've been on others that were not as nice and IMO, the ship is equally if not more important than the destination so be sure the ship is top quality. Go during the off season and you can get away with spending less than $100 pp per day.

Thanks so much! Not being 'picked up' is a major plus. I had seriously been thinking about a cruise to nowhere except if I have to go to all the effort of getting a passport, I want to use the darn thing! ;) I'll definitely check out Disney and RC. Thanks for the sites and thoughts. I have no idea when we'll be going, just that we WILL go!