Menu

Does anyone use MUS Pre-Alg with TT Pre-Alg?

Mommy7

I'm considering doing the MUS pre-Algebra DVD teaching with TT Algebra 1 as a supplement for my dd who is going to start LoF Algebra 1 because she's nervous now that my eldest has been complaing about proofs (but not just LoF proofs, also proofs in the other Geometry she's using.) In our experience, a good part of TT Algebra 1 is pre-Algebra.

However, MUS has always been our supplemental math with SM for my younger two, and TT was an experiment for my eldest and was not a good fit there at all. My 14 yo likes very rigourous math and didn't like MUS or TT, which is rather ironic since she hated math until Algebra and only started liking it with Geometry.

Karin, you are saying that you will be using the TT Algebra I as more of a Pre-Algebra course? After she completes those two, she'll go to LOF Algebra? So, MUS Pre-Algebra lines up more with the TT Algebra I? Not to repeat myself, but I'm just trying to understand. :001_smile: Do you suppose it would *not* work to try TT Pre-Alg along with MUS Pre-Alg?

My dd has made A's in TT7, but has stated that she is frustrated by the fact that there is not enough practice with the concepts. In particular, she is a little weak with fractions, decimals, and percents. So, I've been trying to decide how to strengthen those areas. I was thinking I would either use MUS Epsilon and Zeta or the Key to series.

She will be finishing TT7 in January. So, I could have her work through either series through the summer and then start Pre-Algebra in the Fall or I could have her go straight to TT Pre-Alg. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

I have read thread after thread about TT today. I am concerned about the idea of only having an appearance of success with it. But, not really getting it.

P.S. I just looked at the topics covered in MUS Pre-Algebra. It definitely looks more advanced that TT Pre-Algebra. At least to my feeble, non-math mind. I guess that is because MUS is mastery, so they are assuming you have conquered fractions, decimals, and percents. TT spends 1/2 the Pre-Alg book going through a big review. Hmmm...

I am no math whiz and I would say my dc do fine, but are not particularly advanced in that area. I have to have something that takes me (or them) by the hand to walk through that wild jungle called math. :confused:

Edited by Mommy7

Sounds like you have two potential plans, both of which should be fine.

1. You could spend time in the Key to series after TT7, then begin MUS' more advanced pre-algebra in the fall. (I'm not a math whiz either, but when I compared pre-algebra programs last year, I thought MUS looked more difficult than TT, too. Which is why I went with TT for my ds. :D )

2. Or you could move through the TT sequence more quickly, beginning their pre-algebra after TT7 and moving onto Alg 1 after that.

I guess it depends what you want her to do for algebra.

ETA: Upon re-reading both Karin's and your posts it sounds more like you're considering this:

Key to series combined with TT Pre-Algebra, followed by MUS Pre-Algebra with TT Alg 1

You know, that just makes so much sense. Kind of like continuing to stretch a child's decoding level, when teaching reading, but working on fluency at a more comfortable level. Huh.

Edited by KathyBC

Karin, you are saying that you will be using the TT Algebra I as more of a Pre-Algebra course? After she completes those two, she'll go to LOF Algebra? So, MUS Pre-Algebra lines up more with the TT Algebra I? Not to repeat myself, but I'm just trying to understand. :001_smile: Do you suppose it would *not* work to try TT Pre-Alg along with MUS Pre-Alg?

My dd has made A's in TT7, but has stated that she is frustrated by the fact that there is not enough practice with the concepts. In particular, she is a little weak with fractions, decimals, and percents. So, I've been trying to decide how to strengthen those areas. I was thinking I would either use MUS Epsilon and Zeta or the Key to series.

She will be finishing TT7 in January. So, I could have her work through either series through the summer and then start Pre-Algebra in the Fall or I could have her go straight to TT Pre-Alg. What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions or ideas?

I have read thread after thread about TT today. I am concerned about the idea of only having an appearance of success with it. But, not really getting it.

P.S. I just looked at the topics covered in MUS Pre-Algebra. It definitely looks more advanced that TT Pre-Algebra. At least to my feeble, non-math mind. I guess that is because MUS is mastery, so they are assuming you have conquered fractions, decimals, and percents. TT spends 1/2 the Pre-Alg book going through a big review. Hmmm...

I am no math whiz and I would say my dc do fine, but are not particularly advanced in that area. I have to have something that takes me (or them) by the hand to walk through that wild jungle called math. :confused:

Sorry, I logged off before you came back. I think you could do MUS & TT pre-Algebra together, but I haven't seen TT pre-Algebra. However, I woudn't do that right now. I'd work on mastering exactly what you said she needs help with. But my first choice, if I could choose one you haven't mentioned, would be Life of Fred to help solidify those things. Also, the Key to Books would help. In fact, you may want to do those both. LoF is not expensive, and you get free shipping if you order it right from Polka Dot Publishing. That said, we have also used MUS Epsilon and Zeta, but my ds is going to do it with LoF to augment his other learning. Of course, he likes fractions. We currently own LoF Decimals and Fractions, which are waiting for ds in the new year. We also have a Key to Fractions set since before I was interested in LoF we bought that, and it's quite helpful. I like Mr. Demme & MUS, but there were a couple of times he confused my dd (but other times he saved the day, mostly when she was younger and didn't believe me when I taught her that she needed to regroup) If your dd is the kind to like the story that goes along with the teaching in LoF, the author is brilliant at making concepts clear and in relating them to life. Also, he has bridges at the end of each chapter, so you can have little, medium or a lot of practice, depending on when you score enough to move on. In the other books (Beginning Algebra, etc) the chapters are longer and there are the cities you may have read about.

All that said, there is no math program that works for everybody, no matter how well done. But the man that wrote LoF not only knows math, he homeschooled, too. (Dr. Schmidt) What I do if one of my dc struggles is keep looking until I find what helps them understand it. Sometimes it's a combination. My kids are quite mathy, but they've all had their moments (with my younger 2 it was long division for one). Rather than repetition, I like to find a different way to explain it or a different method that speaks to them. Sometimes they need a combination before it really clicks. I like my dc not to just go through the motions, but to really understand what they're doing. This was not what I originally planned, btw, I was just going to do one method all the way through when I first started homeschooling (Saxon.)

Edited by Karin

Karin, those were my thoughts, too. I had thought it would be great to do the Key to Fractions along with LOF Fractions; then Key to Decimals and Percents along with LOF Decimals & Percents.

My concern is this: my dd who LOVES to read is not interested in the LOF books...but, between me and you...I think she just doesn't want to do the extra work. She commented when she saw the table of contents of LOF that it would be just like what she just did in TT7. But, she is interested in the Key to books.

Would you have her do LOF even though it is something she doesn't want to do? My only hesitation with LOF is that some say it doesn't give enough practice or explanation. That is why I would be most comfortable doing it alongside the Key to books.

How long do you suppose it would take to do LOF, if I am doing it alongside the Key to books?

Thank you for your response. It is so helpful.

Karin, those were my thoughts, too. I had thought it would be great to do the Key to Fractions along with LOF Fractions; then Key to Decimals and Percents along with LOF Decimals & Percents.

My concern is this: my dd who LOVES to read is not interested in the LOF books...but, between me and you...I think she just doesn't want to do the extra work. She commented when she saw the table of contents of LOF that it would be just like what she just did in TT7. But, she is interested in the Key to books.

Would you have her do LOF even though it is something she doesn't want to do? My only hesitation with LOF is that some say it doesn't give enough practice or explanation. That is why I would be most comfortable doing it alongside the Key to books.

How long do you suppose it would take to do LOF, if I am doing it alongside the Key to books?

Thank you for your response. It is so helpful.

We haven't started the LoF fractions book yet, so I can't say, but how much work you do can vary greatly. Also, dc vary in their speeds to get math done and I don't time things. We do what needs to be done that day and then move on. If they're quick, so be it. If they're slow because something is challenging or they are lollygagging, so be it. His whole point is to teach without doing tons of the same problems over and over, yet has extra work if it's needed. In each of the short chapters there is a "your turn to play" with a very few problems and the answers following (in chapter 2 there are 4 problems in that, but in the next chapter 9 problems). After each 4-5 chapters there are some bridges with 10 problems in each. If you get 9 or more right in a bridge, you can move on. It's that simple. If not, you do the problems in the next bridge (I'd review problem areas first, I think.) There are 5 bridges altogether, but you only need to do one if you score well enough the first try.

If it were my child, I'd make him to both, but then I'm not exactly easy when it comes to what I consider very important subjects such as math and language arts, even if I don't push expository writing until later. I think our society as a whole (exceptions exist, of course) is plagued with innumeracy and lack of math savvy and a dearth of mathematical thinking. Not that everyone is going to shine in math, of course, but neither is everyone going to shine in reading & writing which is being pushed a lot more based on what I've seen.

And yes, she may have already done it, so you may wish to quickly read through the sections she is strong in and stop to do the work in the areas she is weak in. Have her read the mastered sections merely for the story, perhaps. One of the delightful things about LoF is that other things are incorporated into math, and in this book you'll see onomatopoetic words, hyperbole, etc, (but you don't have to tell her that ahead of time because there is no work involved in that part of it.) If you have younger children coming up the ranks, I'd say go for it because it's likely at least some, if not all, of your dc will benefit from it.

Edited by Karin