Menu

Talk to me about puff pastry.

I made these for a luncheon back in September and they were a huge hit.

Take one sheet of puff pastry and cut it into 9ths. This is easy, as each sheet is folded over twice, so when you unfold it, you already have two creases. You'll see what I mean when you unfold the dough.

Anyway, I backed each square, then split it into two, taking the top of the puff off. I swirled caramel sauce on a plate, placed the bottom square, spooned cooked apples and pecans onto the bottom, squirted some whipped cream on top of the apples, then put the top pastry piece on, sort of oozing a bit of the whipped cream out.

Delish! You can also do this with strawberries in the summer time.

Michelle that sounds great. Do you think it would be easier to bake the whole sheet at a time or cut it into little pieces before baking? Is it hard to cut and serve after you've put the whole thing together? And how many servings would I get out of one square?

LOL. I'm panicking, we're having people over on Mon. evening and I should stick with old reliable recipes, but here I go again.

I use it sometimes for quick pot pie. Make the filling (chicken, chicken stock thickened with a bit of flour and seasoning, leftover cooked carrots/peas/pearl onions, spoon into ramekins and top with puff pastry. The kids think it is great.

For a fancier meal I have used it to wrap chicken topped with herb alouette. I par baked the chicken because I was worried about it not cooking through then topped and wrapped it and baked according to the package directions.