Menu

Apologia Science users

jillian

What sequence do you do? WTM discusses

1st grade: biology (plants, animals and human body)

2nd grade: earth science/astronomy

3rd grade: chemistry

4th grade: physics

So I am looking around at the apologia website and i notice 3 zoology books (1-3 for grades k-6) and then astronomy and botany. what sequence do you use? what do you use to fill in the chemistry/physics gaps?

We just finished Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day with a 2nd grader and 1st grader. Due to popular demand, we are getting ready to order Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. And after that, we'll probably get the Land Creatures (or whatever the heck that book is called). :D

My kids loved it - very Charlotte Masony approach to science. It also is WAY above their heads. ;) We might redo them in middle school.

My kids loved it - even the 4 year-old was wanting to sit in on the readings. And I even learned something about aphids. :D

We are using Flying Creatures in our Co-op this year, so I don't do anything with that but we have the book. At home, this was a biology year so we spent the first 8 weeks on Human Anatomy, now we are in the Land Animals of the 6th day, we do one lesson a week and some of the experiments, in the Spring we will do Apologia's Botany.

Last year, during our Physics year using God's Design, we also read the Swimming Creatures book for fun but we did not do the Ocean Box.

Last year we did Botany and it was the only year we didn't jump around. We usually get bored with one topic, but she REALLY loved Botany. This year, we started with Flying Creatures, and we're doing the Human body after the first of the year (unit from considering God's Creation). Then, we'll do Chemistry for the rest of the year (RS4K). Next year, I think we'll start out with Astronomy and if we get tired of it we'll do Physics (RS4K).

I wish we could just do what TWTM recommends, but it's just not us. My kids LOVE science so I'm not sure if they really get bored, or if they just want to try everything there is.

HTH!

Dorinda

Guest Cindie2dds

When I called to ask which one to do first, they said Astronomy is for the youngest crowd; but you are able to use them (Astronomy, Botany, or Zoology 1/2/3) in any order you wish.

HTH!

When I called to ask which one to do first, they said Astronomy is for the youngest crowd; but you are able to use them (Astronomy, Botany, or Zoology 1/2/3) in any order you wish.

HTH!

Thanks :) I am just trying to figure out what resources I really like and such.

Considering God's Creation

Some people use it straight through. Some people do what we do, we want to study a unit so we study that unit. Others use it with another Charlotte Mason type curriculum. We really like it for it's flexibility, and all the notebooking is provided. If you're doing Apologia, they mesh well together.

HTH!

Dorinda

Oh, and Real Science for Kids is another one we use and really like. Apologia doesn't cover Chemistry and Physics. - Blessings!