Menu

One really great book/encylopedia for American History

Hazelt"nut"

DD will be doing SOTW 3 with co-op next year but I wanted to go more in depth with American History (early history) at home. I plan on using lots of living books and fun activities but need a spine that is only American History/Discovery to reference from. Any great ones I should know about?

Thanks so much.

SHeryl in GA

I actually think this is a really difficult request. I looked high and low at the beginning of this academic year for a suitable spine for a 3rd and 5th grader. I found nothing that really satisfied. The History of US, while enjoyable and well written, was written for middle schoolers and was just to extensive (10 volumes) to cover in one year. This Country of Ours was too dated for my tastes. The textbooks (Abeka, Mcgraw Hill) were too textbooky. We've ended up using bits and pieces of the Hakim books, The Children's Encyclopeida, The American Story, and Boorstin's book. My older ds has also read several Landmark books.

Hope you do find a spine that works for you. Someone should tell SWB to write a one year SOTW type book for American History. I'd buy it.