Menu

Brock Magiscope-what lenses should I get with this for general use?

HappyGrace

Guest Alte Veste Academy
what lenses should I get with this for general use?

I should also ask: what can you generally see with the different lenses?

Like with a 20x, what would you look at?

Or a 100x?

Or a 400x?

Can you look at spit or blood, or see things in pond water, or what?

:bigear:

I should also ask: what can you generally see with the different lenses?

Like with a 20x, what would you look at?

Or a 100x?

Or a 400x?

Can you look at spit or blood, or see things in pond water, or what? I am so clueless, sorry!

We use the 5x eye piece and 4x and 10x lenses the most. We looked at slides of monocots, dicots (plant cells) pond water, tadpoles, butterfly wings etc with and did pretty well. I occasionally used the 10x eye piece with the 10x lens (100x total) to see detail but for the kids it was not necessary.

The Brock is a great microscope!

We use the 5x eye piece and 4x and 10x lenses the most. We looked at slides of monocots, dicots (plant cells) pond water, tadpoles, butterfly wings etc with and did pretty well. I occasionally used the 10x eye piece with the 10x lens (100x total) to see detail but for the kids it was not necessary.

The Brock is a great microscope!

:iagree:With all of the above.

Oh the Brock is a wonderful microscope! I love ours. Many people on the WTM boards have a Brock and have gone with the III set. (or whatever they call it) and are happy with that. I agree with the poster who said the 5x, 4x, 10x lenses are mostly what we use. I love to do pond studies and those basic lenses are perfect for what we need.

As for slide preparation, it doesn't come with instructions. You will need to purchase slides and slide covers. Slides with a well (the shallow indentation) work great for pond study critters as they can set in the well with a bit of water and it will remain contained. A slide cover holds the sample in place, but if it will squash a bigger critters-so use as you wish.

While looking at things of a flatter, more lifeless nature, like onion skins, butterfly wings, hair,etc., a flat slide with a cover slide are fine.

Good luck and have fun!