Menu

I need advice...Snap circuits as a science course for 8th, continue into 9th...

According to what we understand if the child completes the whole program they would have the information equal to a first year electronics course on the college level. Our ds will be 8th gr. level in the fall. We are thinking that if he works through a good part of it this year (student guides for Model SC-300R and part/most of the guide for Model SC-500R) and saves the student guide for Model SC-750 to do at some point in high school he would have enough knowledge under his belt to count as an elective on the high school level. I would love comments on this idea.

Moreover though I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share exactly how you used this program. I mean what did your days look like? What did you require your child to do each day? What was he expected to memorize? Did he do drawings of the circuits? How long did you spend each day? How often and what did you require your child to include in papers (lab reports etc.) written on this? Anything else?

Thanks! (crosspost)

My dh works in eletronics, he maintains a large 911 system and mobile communications for the town we live in. Our ds wants to go into electronics too. So we spent a lot of time researching the best educational materials on the topic. He did not like snap circuits because the components when not the real thing. He thought they were too childish for a highschooler or middle schooler even. We have used Mr. Circuit 1, 2 and 3 and have been thrilled with the materials and results. Dh was amazed at how complete and accurate the materials are, he is not often amazed. Just our 2 cents on the subject.