Menu

Is Shurley 7 different from the other levels?

Mommy7

And if so, in what ways? I have heard that it has a ton of writing in it. We don't use Shurley's writing part, so if that's the case, I wouldn't want to use it next year.

Also, how much time per day does it take to do a lesson? Just making sure the time involvement hasn't increased from level 6, which we are using this year.

I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Shurley or go with R&S6 or something.

Any ideas? Btw, this will be for an 8th grader.

Edited by Mommy7

The format is different in the tm, with things not so scattered. My copy is hardbound. I like the writing in this one, as it strikes me it will be just about the right level when we start it. We've skipped the writing component till now. I reserve the right to eat crow on that though and skip it when we get there. :)

I can't remember the other differences, but you can see the student pages at Rainbow probably to get a feel. It's more format than anything. It just looked easier to implement, more together, not so spread out with stuff everywhere and page flipping. (You can't tell we have a love/hate relationship with our Shurley tms, can you?) But it's the same Shurley, not different in methodology. Oh, but if you look at the scope & sequence they save a TON of stuff till that 7th grade book, meaning people who jump early are missing a bunch. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

As for where to go afterward, I sort of assumed R&S8 would make sense, but I've never looked at it. Abeka would be fine too. Anything solid would be fine. Branching into something like KISS grammar might be good. We diagram some of our Shurley sentences, so it shouldn't be a problem to transfer to another program that does that.