Menu

Any great ideas for a Christmas gift for husbands? (men, speak up!)

Bill, can you explain to me how this egg thing works and what you can do with it? He doesn't really enjoy gas grills, but he might be interested in this depending on how it works.

It is a thick walled ceramic cooker that burns real hard-wood charcoal for fuel

(plus small amounts of wood chips or chunks of flavor).

The Egg is very versatile because it does 3 things well.

One. It functions as a "grill". Here it has relatively little advantage over a cheap Weber kettle (unless you want to flash cook steaks at high heat were it excels).

Two. It can be used as a high temperature pizza oven. It will do 500-800 degrees easily. It's like having an outdoor wood fired oven.

Three. The Egg is simply an amazing "slow and low" barbeque/smoker. "Real" barbeque, at 200-225 degrees. Amazing 18 hour briskets, or pork butts for pulled pork. Here the Egg has (perhaps) no equal. One you get the temp steady (easily done using sliding vents) the Egg (properly loaded with charcoal) will hold a steady temperature and fire for 24 hours. And you never need to tend the fire.

Men can "pretend" they need to sit by and tend the fire (read: drink beer) but the truth is you can walk away, or go to sleep, and the fire will chug along and slowly smoke tough working-muscled meat, and turn it into the best BBQ you've ever ate. Mmmm.

They are not cheap. But wow, just wow.

Bill (who will be happy if he gets a lump of charcoal this Christmas :D)

It is a thick walled ceramic cooker that burns real hard-wood charcoal for fuel

(plus small amounts of wood chips or chunks of flavor).

The Egg is very versatile because it does 3 things well.

One. It functions as a "grill". Here it has relatively little advantage over a cheap Weber kettle (unless you want to flash cook steaks at high heat were it excels).

Two. It can be used as a high temperature pizza oven. It will do 500-800 degrees easily. It's like having an outdoor wood fired oven.

Three. The Egg is simply an amazing "slow and low" barbeque/smoker. "Real" barbeque, at 200-225 degrees. Amazing 18 hour briskets, or pork butts for pulled pork. Here the Egg has (perhaps) no equal. One you get the temp steady (easily done using sliding vents) the Egg (properly loaded with charcoal) will hold a steady temperature and fire for 24 hours. And you never need to tend the fire.

Men can "pretend" they need to sit by and tend the fire (read: drink beer) but the truth is you can walk away, or go to sleep, and the fire will chug along and slowly smoke tough working-muscled meat, and turn it into the best BBQ you've ever ate. Mmmm.

They are not cheap. But wow, just wow.

Bill (who will be happy if he gets a lump of charcoal this Christmas :D)

Thanks, Bill! I knew I could count on you to lay it out for me!:D

So are you going down to the Humane Society?

Well, probably not. We've been researching dogs for several months (I was thinking maybe Spring would be a good time, but apparently not!). I am allergic to many dogs and have to have a no shedding/low dander breed (assuming I'm not allergic to those). We're going to have to try some out and so we will probably go to some breeders to do that. We could always check the Humane Society to see if by chance they have the kind I need, I suppose. I just figured the chances would be slim.

Any thoughts on this?