Menu

Question regarding the use of "being verbs" in papers

Am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been, etc.

In the class my son was taking, he was not allowed to use any being verbs at all. This was problematic at times.

So, how many do you allow in each paragraph of a paper? I'm not talking about using passive voice, because I know that should be avoided. I'd like to get an idea of what requirements are out there (especially with those who use Potters School or other online programs).

Thanks!

The students lack creativity and they use the same verbs over and over again. I understand doing an exercise where they write a paper and don't use any of the 'to be' verbs...but are you saying they are NEVER allowed to use them?

Curious.

Basically, if there is a better verb that can be used, it should be. I don't count the number that there are in the paragraph.

I did hear that one person who taught creative writing (writing a fiction book) said that there should never be the same verb twice on the same page.

Interesting.

FWIW.

My son's writing instructor allows only 2 be verbs per paper. She wants her students to rely less on the be verb and write with more creativity.

I'd say her plan is working quite well. My son's papers are much more interesting to read.

It certainly has been a challenge for him at times, though.

Yes, I found it odd and very frustrating that he was not allowed to use any being verbs. I even pulled out his requirement sheet a few minutes ago to read it again. I actually decided last night to withdraw him from the class. There was so much focus on the requirements that little or no attention was given to what he was saying, and it was a source of distraction and frustration on his and my part.

Thank you, again!

The issue of being verbs is a touchy one with me. When I was in high school, I was not allowed to use any -- not even "He was buried!"

I relaxed the standard a bit for my kids -- they are allowed to use one perparagraph, and, IF they can fully justify it, they can use another one. However, I have only seen one or two "justified" uses in my kids' papers, so that rarely comes up.

Not using "to be" verbs does have its benefits -- dd is currently taking an art history course. Her prof said "No being verbs!" She has found describing art while NEVER EVER using "to be" verbs to be quite a challenge! She says that if she hadn't had plenty of practice rephrasing sentences to eliminate the "to be" verbs she would have a lot of trouble with the papers for this class!

Well, I would interpret "being" verbs as just that--is, am, are, was, were, be, been, being. "I" would not include the use of those verbs when they are used as helping verbs. So I guess I would want to clarify that before writing the paper. The requirement does seem odd, though. I completely concur with limiting the use of being verbs, and I have done that with my dc. But I didn't completely prohibit them.

FWIW,

Jennifer