Menu

Anyone use Click n Read?

Ann@thebeach

My friend and I are both considering this now for our 6 yr olds. Both our kids are visual learners and her son especially likes the format of the sample.

Just looking for some reviews from those that have used a few of the lessons or used all of it.

Thanks

(yes, we are in the co-op for the sale on this :) )

My friend and I are both considering this now for our 6 yr olds. Both our kids are visual learners and her son especially likes the format of the sample.

My five year old is loving this right now.

It's thorough, slow moving if you need it to be, very customizable. You can set how much drill to do on each unique element in the lessons, and you can go back in and change this at any time. I love that the space dog teacher character doesn't overdo praise to the point of it becoming meaningless. I like the total immersion in the fantasy world so my kid feels like he's in a futurist classroom. It's very developmentally appropriate for little guys, not expecting them to manage their own study time, but giving them clear instructions and changing screens automatically.

The only element I'd improve is that when you set it to drill words more than once, it doesn't rearrange the words before asking again. So, it's possible your kid just remembers where on the screen "cat" was before. My kid is not doing this, though; he's really reading, finally, after using five -- I kid you not, five -- phonics programs. I think the big difference is that the phonograms are pronounced correctly; I had a horrible time not attaching vowels to the consonant sounds, and some of the other electronic phonics programs (LeapFrog) were just as bad as me ("B says buh!")

My opinion is that Click n Read is head and shoulders above any of the other computerized phonics courses I've seen.

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, but you should know we're only on Lesson 9.

Ann,

My son is using it, and we really like it. I'm trying not to feel awful that we could have gotten it for less by waiting until now with the co-op... but we purchased it two months ago and have gotten through a lot of it.

The sample is very representative of the program.

What I like is that the lessons are very predictable and fairly straightforward. My son knows what to expect, he knows a lesson won't take long, and the little dog guy is just interesting enough to keep his attention, but he isn't distracting. He can do the lesson all by himself. I can easily reset things so that he'll repeat a lesson, and it was pretty easy to adjust things at the start to get him started at the right place. I love that I can start my next child on it when the first one finishes, at no cost. I have three children right now who could be doing this - but only my 9 year old is right now.

What I don't like? Some of the sounds are really tough to differentiate (m and n, for instance). Really, that's about it.

My 9 year old is a struggling reader. Click 'n Kids is great for him. My 7 year old reads pretty much right on grade level. I know it is going to be an equally great fit for him. My 4 year old is just starting to read (my only early reader) and I am pretty sure it will be great for him as well. Unfortunately, it will be awhile before he gets his shot at it though!

Any specific questions? I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Debra

Mom of five, ages 2-10