Menu

Please help me pick a digital camera for my ds!

Here's what we need:

Good zoom (ideally 10x - at least)

Image stability

Fast shutter speed

Ability to take shots of moving items (ds is in to high powered rocketry!)

Video with sound

As small as possible (I know that will be hard with needing a good zoom)

Not a necessity - but it'd be nice:

Ability to take lots of photos quickly. I don't even know what that is called. Ds asked for that though.

We'd like for it to be under $200, but if necessary, we could go higher to get him what he needs. Ds is nearly 14 and takes really good care of his things.

I've looked at:

Canon Powershot SX120IS - looks like it may not have the shutter speed he needs.

Nikon Coolpix L100 - The reviews aren't as hot as I'd like. But, I actually bought this one and have it here to give him. If you can tell me that this one really IS great - I'd love you forever!! But, don't lie to me! :lol:

Thanks!!!

Burst mode is what you are looking for when you want to take photos in quick succession. Ideally, you are looking for an SLR to do all of those things. The shutter speed you are looking for will only be available on an SLR.

However, aside from my SLR, I also have this camera: Sony DSC H50. I purchased it last year, so I think there's a newer model out. I just looked it up and it is the H20 B. It is on Amazon for $229 right now.

I can post some pics I took on my H50, if you would like.

ETA....I have researched cameras a TON LOL. I'm extremely picky with my cameras. I want even my smaller camera (my more portable one) to be SLR quality, which just isnt possible with a point and shoot camera. So I've purchased and returned my share of cameras. This Sony is the only one I've kept and been pretty happy with. I say "pretty happy" because even that cannot compare with my SLR. But I'm picky like that LOL.....the average non-photographer person might not be as picky. DH thinks I'm crazy and says they all look the same to him LOL.

Edited by ChristusG
add something

Okay. Humor me. Pretend I'm really stupid when it comes to cameras. A-hem. Really - just pretend . . .

What is an SLR? And, can you post a link to the H50? I searched it at Amazon and came up with a $679 camera! Ack! Also, does that Sony have the burst mode? (Thanks for the name!)

I'd love to see some pictures, if you don't mind! Do you have any you took of things moving?

Thanks for your help!

LOL, you crack me up. :D

SLR's are the larger cameras with interchangeable lenses (SLR means single lens reflex). Like this one, which is my main camera: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-1MP-Digital-Body/dp/B000V5P90K

The Sony H50 (my smaller camera) is not being made anymore, so that's why the Amazon dude hiked up the price to $600. The newer model of that camera is the H20 B....which is the one you would want to purchase. It compares with my H50, which is the previous model of this camera. It's the one that's $229 on Amazon, right here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-H20-Digital-Stabilization/dp/B001OI2LV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1259793006&sr=1-1

An SLR will always provide a crisper picture, faster shutter, and do better in low light than a point and shoot camera. The Sony H20 is somewhere between a point and shoot and an SLR. You cannot change the lenses on it and the shutter is still slow in comparison. You can get a decent SLR for about $500. The Canon XS is an SLR and you can purchase it on Amazon for about $500 and that's including a lens. But your son may not be ready for something like that yet. It has a lot of potential, especailly if he decided to learn a little about photography.

If he just wants something that does all of the above things that you mentioned, yet he can still just turn on and shoot without doing too much thinking and fiddling with settings, the H20 would probably be a good bet for him.

I will post some pics as soon as I can grab a few off of my computer. I have some from my daughters soccer game, as well as the air show a few weeks ago. I may have to wait till I get home from church though.

Okay.....we're not going to church tonight. It's storming and there's tornado watch's out there. :ohmy: I'm too freaked to get out in that.

So I can upload the pics now LOL.

It takes great fireworks pics.....

camera1.jpg

camera5.jpg

This was taken at night, outdoors at a concert a few weeks ago. I was standing about 10 or 12 feet away. So it had to zoom and then photograph in fairly low light.

camera2.jpg

Soccer game.....this was taken from across the field. And the kids were moving, of course.

camera9.jpg

Taken from clear across the field....she was on one side and I was on the other.

camera7.jpg

Low light and zoomed a pretty good distance.....we were sitting in the audience at night watching this.

camera6.jpg

This was taken at the air show....so the plane was moving pretty quickly.

camera3.jpg

After a lot of review reading in October, I bought dd11 a Sony Cybershot W220 at Office Depot for 159. (most other places were 179) I love this camera and plan to buy myself one soon. It takes wonderful pix, has a fast shutter speed and while it has auto settings, you can do some manual adjustments too. I bought a memory stick, a carrying pouch and a 2 year accidental damage warranty for just over $200 total.

I have seen them for less in the Christmas ads.

LOL, you crack me up.

SLR's are the larger cameras with interchangeable lenses (SLR means single lens reflex). Like this one, which is my main camera:

The Sony H50 (my smaller camera) is not being made anymore, so that's why the Amazon dude hiked up the price to $600. The newer model of that camera is the H20 B....which is the one you would want to purchase. It compares with my H50, which is the previous model of this camera. It's the one that's $229 on Amazon, right here

An SLR will always provide a crisper picture, faster shutter, and do better in low light than a point and shoot camera. The Sony H20 is somewhere between a point and shoot and an SLR. You cannot change the lenses on it and the shutter is still slow in comparison. You can get a decent SLR for about $500. The Canon XS is an SLR and you can purchase it on Amazon for about $500 and that's including a lens. But your son may not be ready for something like that yet. It has a lot of potential, especailly if he decided to learn a little about photography.

If he just wants something that does all of the above things that you mentioned, yet he can still just turn on and shoot without doing too much thinking and fiddling with settings, the H20 would probably be a good bet for him.

I will post some pics as soon as I can grab a few off of my computer. I have some from my daughters soccer game, as well as the air show a few weeks ago. I may have to wait till I get home from church though.

Darn that Amazon dude.

Yea - ds isn't quite ready for a $500 camera. Maybe after a couple years . . .

Okay.....we're not going to church tonight. It's storming and there's tornado watch's out there. :ohmy: I'm too freaked to get out in that.

So I can upload the pics now LOL.

It takes great fireworks pics.....

camera1.jpg

camera5.jpg

This was taken at night, outdoors at a concert a few weeks ago. I was standing about 10 or 12 feet away. So it had to zoom and then photograph in fairly low light.

camera2.jpg

Soccer game.....this was taken from across the field. And the kids were moving, of course.

camera9.jpg

Taken from clear across the field....she was on one side and I was on the other.

camera7.jpg

Low light and zoomed a pretty good distance.....we were sitting in the audience at night watching this.

camera6.jpg

This was taken at the air show....so the plane was moving pretty quickly.

camera3.jpg

Awesome pics!!! I love the soccer ones - nice and crisp. BTW - who is the cute guy at the concert???

After a lot of review reading in October, I bought dd11 a Sony Cybershot W220 at Office Depot for 159. (most other places were 179) I love this camera and plan to buy myself one soon. It takes wonderful pix, has a fast shutter speed and while it has auto settings, you can do some manual adjustments too. I bought a memory stick, a carrying pouch and a 2 year accidental damage warranty for just over $200 total.

I have seen them for less in the Christmas ads.

Thanks!! I'm off to check this out!

The cute guy is Taylor Hicks! :D He won American Idol a few seasons ago. He hasn't really made a big name for himself since then, but we saw him at a free concert in town a few weeks ago.

The only annoying thing about Sony is that they have their own memory stick. :glare: It's called a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo. It's not that costly though....there's a 4 GB one on Amazon right now for $16. You might can find them even cheaper on eBay or something. You can find them just about anywhere though.

The battery is a rechargeable lithium-ion one that comes with the camera. It comes with a charger as well. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Advantage is that you do not have to purchase more batteries or worry about running out of them. Disadvantage is that if your battery dies in the middle of something, you cannot just grab some more and replace them. I have four cameras and all of them have the rechargeable batteries though. DD has a small Kodak camera and it takes AA batteries, but it eats them like candy. :001_huh:

Edited to add......I have also read good things about this camera: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFZMBU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001QFZMC4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AGCYGHY3QH2CBT0Z2XB

But I have no personal experience with it.

Edited by ChristusG
added something