Menu

book ideas for 7 yo and 9 yo

I'm looking for books with strong female protagonists for my niece. She is 7 and a good reader, well into chapter books. I also need book recommendations for a 9 yo boy, also a good reader (he has read all of Harry Potter, to give you an idea of his reading level).

My own kids are much younger and my own elementary days are so far behind that I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas!

Thanks so much!

My dd8 loved The Penderwicks and the sequel. I read it with her last year, but she could have read it herself. She also has enjoyed the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary and Nim's Island by Wendy Orr. Some of her favorite books are by E.B. White: Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of The Swan, especially. She also really liked The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.

For your niece, I recommend The Little House on the Prairie series. My girls love them and the girls/women are strong characters. For your nephew, Usborne has through Kane-Miller publishing The Wickit Chronicles (a story of a boy in 14th century (or there abouts). There are 4 books in that series currently, more to be added next year. And, perhaps, Conspiracy 365. A new book will come out every month for a year. It is a cross between Davinci Code and 24 for preteen/teen readers. Check with your local Usborne consultant or see my link below for those. You can read the first chapter of Consp. 365 on the website.

The Mysterious Benedict Society series for the 9 year old. :D My son LOVES it. I had to buy the audio recording for the first series because he wants to listen to it over and over and over and over again. I loved reading the last two series out loud to kids.

Their family introduced the series to *me*. They're so much fun! That reminds me--I need to get the third book!'

Keep the ideas coming! I'm filling up my shopping cart. :)