Menu

TOG/ SL Combo?

Has anyone ever tried this?

OK, here's my problem, I love TOG's approach to history. We have purchased Year Plans 1-3 in the new DE format and I can't wait to start it with my son next year. We will be starting Year 1 and we have purchased all the supplements for Year 1 also, and just need about half the books to be all set.

On the other hand we have been using SL since the start of 2008 and have gone through Cores P3/4, P4/5 and now K. We have enjoyed all the Cores so far. One thing I have come to value about SL is their great literature selections, hence why I have such a hard time letting go. So the only other option is to somehow combine the two.

Just to clarify that for history we will definitely be relying and focusing on the TOG approach so my question is would there be a way of somehow working in SL? I know that doing both will be too much but if I can work in as much as I can we can just keep any additional books as optional.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Edited by Guest

Just my opinion: I think TOG lit selections are just as good if not better than SL. A lot of the lit in SL is in TOG as well. What I did was get the books I liked from SL (that were not in TOG) to read for fun to my boys, or give to them for free reading. This has worked out well;)!

HTH,

Kristen

I switched from sl to tog. Do you like the literature books just for their selection, as in just to read for enjoyment and enrichment? Or, do you want to follow the guide, ask the questions and/or follow their LA with the readers as well? I personally think that the 2nd option would be a lot of work. Just with tog I find my schedule quite full, but we do many of the activities and supplements.

A happy medium might be to look at the list of literature that would come with the sl core that corresponds to where you are and go to the library often or purchase those books. Use them as evening and family reading. Ask your own questions and choose your own timing. When I am in the market for a new read a loud this is what I do.

To try and follow the SL schedule, as scheduled/written, for literature and the TOG for history and other related subjects, as scheduled/written, would likely become daunting and burn you out at some point.

Just my opinion: I think TOG lit selections are just as good if not better than SL. A lot of the lit in SL is in TOG as well. What I did was get the books I liked from SL (that were not in TOG) to read for fun to my boys, or give to them for free reading. This has worked out well;)!

HTH,

Kristen

Yep, I agree with you that TOG's literature selections are also good. The only thing is that with the younger kids the focus is more on history, which I am happy with and love all the book selections, where as SL on the other hand (for the younger children) focuses more on literature and I guess I just want the best of both worlds :D.

Edited by Guest

Has anyone ever tried this?

OK, here's my problem, I love TOG's approach to history. We have purchased Year Plans 1-3 in the new DE format and I can't wait to start it with my son next year. We will be starting Year 1 and we have purchased all the supplements for Year 1 also, and just need about half the books to be all set.

On the other hand we have been using SL since the start of 2008 and have gone through Cores P3/4, P4/5 and now K. We have enjoyed all the Cores so far. One thing I have come to value about SL is their great literature selections, hence why I have such a hard time letting go. So the only other option is to somehow combine the two.

Just to clarify that for history we will definitely be relying and focusing on the TOG approach so my question is would there be a way of somehow working in SL? I know that doing both will be too much but if I can work in as much as I can we can just keep any additional books as optional.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Hi Marie!

You can just substitute here and there. I find a lot of the SL titles are listed at the D level. You could still use them as RA's with the younger kids. Here is a great website to help you organize.

Heather

I switched from sl to tog. Do you like the literature books just for their selection, as in just to read for enjoyment and enrichment? Or, do you want to follow the guide, ask the questions and/or follow their LA with the readers as well? I personally think that the 2nd option would be a lot of work. Just with tog I find my schedule quite full, but we do many of the activities and supplements.

A happy medium might be to look at the list of literature that would come with the sl core that corresponds to where you are and go to the library often or purchase those books. Use them as evening and family reading. Ask your own questions and choose your own timing. When I am in the market for a new read a loud this is what I do.

To answer your questions, LA is a no. We went in another direction there because Adrian's reading is at about the early 3rd grade level by now but he would not be ready for LA 2 much less 3. So I would either have to hold him back or tweak heavily which I was not prepared to do. The fact that they cover a broad range of ages was even more of a hindrance for us since we would have to leave stuff for later and go back and forth trying not to miss anything if we had chosen to try LA 2 :banghead:. So we have been using Horizons Phonics (we have already finished HOP K-2), ETC, Wordly Wise 3000, many and various readers and Draw then Write. Next year I will be adding Shurley English and WWE. As for SL's readers I would more than likely just pick some that I think Adrian would like. After Core 3 I would more than likely then add in the readers as well.

Coming back to your questions, yes, I would like to follow the IG for the Core. Having only used the early Cores (we are currently only on Core K) I do not feel I have been able to really see what SL has to offer when it comes to the IG and how useful it is so I want to get the Core 1 and 2 IGs to get a better feel where that's concerned. As for TOG another reason why I went with them (there are many :D) are the activities that SL's programs do not offer.

To try and follow the SL schedule, as scheduled/written, for literature and the TOG for history and other related subjects, as scheduled/written, would likely become daunting and burn you out at some point.

This is what I don’t want to have happen. On the other hand I so enjoy reading to the boys that I don’t have a problem reading any time of day or time of year. So adding some of the books as just for fun books would not be a problem but I would like to incorporate some somehow.

Hi Marie!

You can just substitute here and there. I find a lot of the SL titles are listed at the D level. You could still use them as RA's with the younger kids. Here is a great website to help you organize.

Heather

Hi Heather :seeya:,

I was hoping you would see my thread. Thank you so much! I like your suggestion. As for the link, WOW, that's great :D! Thank you so much! The person that put this together has done an incredible amount of work. This will be very useful. I will be going through it first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again,

I think Heather has hit the nail on the head! With the help of the SL reader/4 year cycle list, you have a winning combination. I'd also think that some on the list as read alouds would be wonderful. In fact, I might do this myself!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yep, I agree! The list will be very useful. I still need to check some of the books since I believe that was from 2007, to see if any books have changed. I will still be getting the Core IGs and transferring the pages into my working binder whenever we are working on a SL book. I will add whatever is extra that we want to get just as fun reads. We school and will be schooling year round anyway. We will also continue with SL's science since we are enjoying that.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.