Menu

CLE 1st grade math, what do I need?

Tabrett

I've decided to switch from RS to CLE. My dd took the RS 1 semester test and did not pass. I just don't see how they were supposed to learn all the info RS tested on when they weren't give written work. I have learned my dd NEEDS more written work when it comes to math.

That being said, what should I get? Do I need the TG for CLE 1st math? Do I need to start with unit 1? We have been doing "calendar" math along with RS. My dd can skip count even 2-20, odd 1-9, ten's 10-100 and we are working on five's 5-100. It has taken daily drill to get this far. My 4yo understand numbers better than her from just sitting and listening in on lessons.

Do I need to start at the beginning and go as quickly as possible or start on unit__?

I switched my second-grader to CLE math 100 a few weeks ago. IMO, you need the Light Unit student workbooks and the corresponding teacher book. I bought the extras (flash cards, counting book, counting chart) but we haven't used them. I got them more for the other three kids behind her.

Anyway, do the placement test to find out which level you need. My dd I think is really in the middle of level 100, but we've opted to go back to 101 and work quickly so that she gets any concepts we haven't covered before. We both like CLE. She much prefers it to MUS, which is what we've used before. My older dd is still using MUS because it is a good fit for her.

You definitely meed the TM. There are story problems and other instructions to use the light units. The TM has the lu with answers filled in. So, if you got the TM, you could find the best place to start with light units. Counting by 5's starts in light unit 102. I just bought the TM and first 2 lu's to check out, and I think it moves pretty quickly. Even if it's review, it goes fast. Each lu is meant to last 4 weeks, 5 days/week, and each lesson is about 3 pages. HTH!

Edited by Devotional Soul

I also found the flashcards necessary. They present the facts in a specific order and there are tabs to sort the cards for review. We are loving CLE math for both 1st and 2nd grade. I did find that I needed two sets of flashcards because the 2nd grade are sorted differently than the 1st grade.

I've used CLE Math 100 with two children and we found the teacher guides essential since, as mentioned previously, there are story problems and read alouds you dictate to the child from it. Also, the flashcards are very helpful as is the 100 chart. It will ask your child to use a dry erase marker to color odds, evens, skip count, etc. at certain points in the book. Having this laminate chart is helpful for them to visualize what they are counting. I have found CLE math to be an excellent program. I hope you enjoy it!

We started at the beginning, skipped a lot of the repetitive review (1+1= 2, etc)and blew through the first several lightunits very quickly. I did this for two reasons, even though I knew Dot knew 99% of the material already.

1. I wanted her to get used to the format and to following the directions given in the book rather than doing her own thing.

2. I didn't want to risk any gaps because there are a handful of more advanced concepts that are introduced earlier in CLE than other programs. For example, place value to the tens column, skip counting by tens and counting dimes are all introduced in lesson 10 of lightunit 101. (essentially, the 10th day of first grade.)

Dot blew through 101 in a week, and 102 in 8 days. 103 - 105 took longer, but we don't do math every day. She will finish 106 by Christmas, and probably be halfway finished 107 by mid-January, even with Christmas break.

You'll need the lightunits, teacher guide, coins for counting money and clock. We have but rarely use the flashcards and counting chart, although the counting chart is helping for visualizing skip counting. You'll need something to use as counters (I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a $1 thing of 50 decorative erasers), and I would STRONGLY recommend a dry erase board. I would love a base ten set, but haven't had the opportunity to get one.

Edited by skaterbabs

Yes, you need the TG. You probably don't need to start in LU 101, but there may be snippets of things you missed--CLE is good to introduce things early on a very gentle level--like greater than/less than--and it may even start in LU 101. You could probably start there and skip a lot of the material if needed.

The story problems are only written out in the TG, not the workbooks.

You need the flashcards if at all possible--the way they have them organized, it would be a pain to do yourself. But you can use your own if you need to. The CLE system is awesome though.

I recommend the counting book that they sell; it's a couple dollars and it fairly important to 1st grade.

We are doing our 2nd time through CLE 1st grade (my older is in 3rd now) and still appreciate this great program! Best wishes!

Betsy

That being said, what should I get? Do I need the TG for CLE 1st math? Do I need to start with unit 1? We have been doing "calendar" math along with RS. My dd can skip count even 2-20, odd 1-9, ten's 10-100 and we are working on five's 5-100. It has taken daily drill to get this far. My 4yo understand numbers better than her from just sitting and listening in on lessons.

Do I need to start at the beginning and go as quickly as possible or start on unit__?