Menu

Logic stage biology ala TWTM

Heather in WI

Now that my logic stage history plans ala TWTM are firmed up for next year, I'm starting to plan for science.

Is anyone currently working through the new recs for biology? How is it going?

If you made a tentative schedule, would you share it?

Have you enjoyed the Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method book?

How about the Usborne Internet Lined Science Encyclopedia and the Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopedia of Science books?

Other books, projects, or experiments that may not be listed in TWTM that you have found particularly helpful or enjoyable?

Hi,

We do have all three books you mentioned. We like them all. We don't, however, follow any particular order in Science. We just pick what interests us at any given time. Currently, we are working through Ellen McHenry's Elements.

We have used some sections of Creepy Crawly and the Scientific Method. It worked out very well for us. We used the section on Rolly-Pollies and Spiders because thats what my son wanted to do.

Really, though, I can't seem to get into a specific pattern with Science. This is the only area in our schooling that causes me trouble with planning. I am not sure why.

Susie

Is anyone currently working through the new recs for biology? How is it going?

If you made a tentative schedule, would you share it?

Have you enjoyed the Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method book?

How about the Usborne Internet Lined Science Encyclopedia and the Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopedia of Science books?

Other books, projects, or experiments that may not be listed in TWTM that you have found particularly helpful or enjoyable?

We worked through WTM rec'd bio last year, but with the former recs of Reader's Digest books. I just followed the study pattern in WTM, and it was great.

I didn't *use* the Creepy Crawlies books for our experiments (there are experiments in the RD books), but I did study it myself to get an overall picture of the scientific method and how to show my son how to use it. I basically made an outline for myself, of chapter 1, just to get some things into my brain. I may use some experiments from it when dd gets to logic stage bio - we'll see. My main benefit from it, though, was learning about the method.

Basic weekly schedule: day 1 is experiment day. After the experiment is done, ds types up answers to the WTM experiment questions (we talk about it all before he writes, though, as we go through the experiment). He also makes a sketch. Day 2: I give him some reading to do in the RD book, and get him to write any important discovery/invention/scientist dates on the timeline and on those date sheets mentioned in the 2004 WTM.

During writing time two days a week, I have him write an outline of something science-related, and a narration. He does science reading in the afternoons (along with various other reading), so that provides fodder for picking something to outline/narrate about.

He has enjoyed the Usborne science encyclopedia a lot over the years. He liked the DK when I bought it last year, but it quickly got boring for him. He prefers the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia over that.

Basically, I just really enjoy doing things the way they are described in WTM. :D It's freeing. The other day, my son who has become somewhat bored by science experiment time and who adores science, did an experiment on his own. So, I am learning to give him the overall structure, but trying to move him towards choosing things on his own that he wants to experiment on. I'd say have a look through library experiment books related to what you are studying and see if you can light a spark with some varied things. Or, if you are doing those kits, pick ones that are exciting to your child.

I also always recommend SWB's CD called Science in the Classical Curriculum. It gives a slightly different picture and more things to think about than what are mentioned in WTM. She talks about science reading and how to help a child start to critique it, as well as how to help kids study science in the various learning stages.