Menu

Is there a link between Vit. D3 and UTIs?

Lucky me, I have a UTI. I have not had one in YEARS and the only thing that I have done differently lately is take quite a bit of Vitamin D3. I was reading online and there were a few articles about Vit D3 increasing the risk for UTI. Most of the studies were with infants and formula, though. Does anyone know if there is a link in adults?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a mechanism by which biologically appropriate levels of D would increase UTI risk. By virtually all measures, biologically appropriate levels of D decrease infection and improve immune function.

Be sure you're taking (diet or supps) sufficient calcium and magnesium and zinc and investigate to insure you're taking enough D....too little supplementation is, in some cases, as bad as getting no additional D. It really is important to work towards getting serum levels in the middle of the reference range - which for most is about 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight.

In my teens and 20's I had chronic cystisis and frequent - FREQUENT - bladder infections. I haven't had but 1 UTI sinceI've been taking D.

just pulled up some info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19264720

Comparing breastfed and ff infants, only the ff infants were at an increased risk from UTI's when supplemented with additional D. A few possible issues....increased calcium excretion b/c of the decreased bioavailbility of calcium in formula v. breastmilk. I can come up with three possible mechanisms. None of which particularly indicate a D issue as much as they indicate other nutritional problems that are simply highlighted by the D.

This happens with kidney stones. Higher serum D levels = increased kidney stones. But it's not a D problem. It's a diet problem. With sufficient and biologically appropriate amounts of dietary/supplemental magnesium and potassium along with the D supplementation, the risk of stones returns to that of the non supplementing population. The problem is that D is doing what it's supposed to be doing but poor diet (standard american diet....grain based, too much calcium, insufficient intake of other minerals) gets in the way and bunges up the works.

:)

K

just pulled up some info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19264720

Comparing breastfed and ff infants, only the ff infants were at an increased risk from UTI's when supplemented with additional D. A few possible issues....increased calcium excretion b/c of the decreased bioavailbility of calcium in formula v. breastmilk. I can come up with three possible mechanisms. None of which particularly indicate a D issue as much as they indicate other nutritional problems that are simply highlighted by the D.

This happens with kidney stones. Higher serum D levels = increased kidney stones. But it's not a D problem. It's a diet problem. With sufficient and biologically appropriate amounts of dietary/supplemental magnesium and potassium along with the D supplementation, the risk of stones returns to that of the non supplementing population. The problem is that D is doing what it's supposed to be doing but poor diet (standard american diet....grain based, too much calcium, insufficient intake of other minerals) gets in the way and bunges up the works.

:)

K

Okay, thanks. Do you have any idea why getting "not enough" vitamin is as detrimental or more detrimental than getting none at all? I am supplementing myself and the kids, but not to a huge degree. The kids weigh 45 pounds and 75 pounds and they each get 400 IU per day. If I know we are going out somewhere "germy," I will give them 800 IU. I weigh 140-145 pounds and i have been taking 2000-3000 IUs.

I don't know about the research, but I've been getting UTI's since I was 5 years old. I haven't had them in years and years because of unsweetened cranberry juice. I used to drink it every day, now only at the first hint of symptoms. I think I've had one or two in the 13 years we've been in our house.

I started D3 a couple of months back and haven't had one. I have questioned decreased urine output. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you have me thinking. But I have had no hint of a UTI, and I don't think palpitations in me were related to it either.

I buy the pure cranberry juice and it really doesn't taste bad without sugar. Knudsens is sold everywhere in the health isle.

Feel better!