Menu

DVDs to learn Mandarin well

I am looking for DVDs (not a computer program or workbook program) for my children to learn Mandarin. They already know a little (pinyin, about 700 basic words and some phrases). My children are highly gifted with languages. They learn with practically no repetition so I would prefer something with little repetition.

I would like high quality DVDs that will take them from the basics to the intermediate or advanced level in a comprehensive manner, using Chinese characters and teaching some grammar as well as vocabulary and comprehension, etc. I would prefer something aimed at children, not business travellers.

I have heard that Rosetta Stone is good, but are these DVDs or are they a computer program? I was concerned they might have a lot of repetition since it is so many hours.

Can anyone suggest DVDs that might best fit what I'm looking for?

I am looking for DVDs (not a computer program or workbook program) for my children to learn Mandarin. They already know a little (pinyin, about 700 basic words and some phrases). My children are highly gifted with languages. They learn with practically no repetition so I would prefer something with little repetition.

I would like high quality DVDs that will take them from the basics to the intermediate or advanced level in a comprehensive manner, using Chinese characters and teaching some grammar as well as vocabulary and comprehension, etc. I would prefer something aimed at children, not business travellers.

I have heard that Rosetta Stone is good, but are these DVDs or are they a computer program? I was concerned they might have a lot of repetition since it is so many hours.

Can anyone suggest DVDs that might best fit what I'm looking for?

You're right about Rosetta Stone being a computer program. There is a demo on their website so you can check it out, but it doesn't sound like it's something you want. I'm sure others will chime in that are actually studying Chinese (we're not), but there is one website I know of with DVD programs- AsiaForKids.com

I would highly recommend getting a tutor for the early stages, to ensure that the tones are learned properly. Without those, the kids are not going to be speaking Chinese, and native English speakers don't pick them up naturally without full immersion in the language (living in China) in my experience.

Best wishes

Laura